German Shepherds Forum banner

No Touchy!

715 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  pyratemom 
#1 ·
So today was another vet visit with Pike, and it came to my attention that he HATES being held for long periods and especially protests when his face is being held. The vet said it's something I need to work on because it's incredibly hard for him to do examinations while Pike is spazzing out. One of the first times it took him 10 minutes just to hear his heart because he kept squirming and whining and would not sit still! Pike generally is very calm in new situations (except for walks as I've posted about earlier) and has even fallen asleep during puppy class orientation with lots of puppies barking and squirming around. (We were all sitting while the trainer went over some things). So it's only when he's being held on to and confined.

So I guess my question is what should I be doing to get him to be calm and relaxed when being held around both body and head? The vet said treats but told me to be aware that he could be distracted only by the treats and may not realize I'm holding his head with my hands which would defeat the point. Wondering if anyone has succesfully got their dog to get used to be handled especially at the vet.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I didn't do anything special to get my girl to accept the vet touching her all over. I took her there from the time I got her here from Germany. All the office girls come and pet her and get kisses. She even gives my vet kisses when he is done. I did touch her all over as a puppy, look between her toes, under the paw at the pads, look in her ears, look in her mouth, look under her tail on an everyday basis at any time of the day I thought of it. Due to that my vet loves seeing her. He knows her so well that he knows her thresholds for whatever he is going to do. She is never restrained because she doesn't have to be. I sit in front of her and talk to her and he gives her the vaccinations or whatever and she deals with it as long as she can see me. I gave her autoimmune shots for 18 months by myself without anyone helping. I just put her in a sit, gave her shot in the loose neck skin, and then gave her a treat. The only thing that makes her nervous is if she sees the needle. My vet knows this and keeps it covered with his hand when we go. I got the shot ready, laid the syringe down, then called her over for the shot. After the shot and treat I would show her the syringe and let her see me throw the needle in the sharps bin and it didn't bother her as she would see the needle leave (in her mind).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.