German Shepherds Forum banner

Scared 5 month old?

955 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  GSDluver4lyfe 
#1 ·
My husband and I had recently moved to a larger house with a big backyard that our GSD did not have before. He only pooped inside the house the first day we got him and afterwards, he's been pooping outside. Recently, my husband has been gone for two weeks and I've been left alone to care for our puppy. For the past few days, he's been pooping and peeing in the house. When I correct him, he gets scared and runs to his crate. When I let him out, he doesn't come back in when I call him and is digging up a storm outside. When he does come in though, he does it on his own terms and I have to quickly shut the door before he bolts back outside. I take him out on a leash so he can relieve himself, but he won't do it on the leash. He'll only relieve himself if he's off the leash and that's when I have trouble getting him inside. I want him to be able to go outside and relieve himself without a leash, but I have the hardest time getting him to come back inside. He's outside now and has been for the majority of the morning and he hasn't eaten or drank any water all day because he won't come inside. He'll peek his head in the doorway, see me, and then bolt back outside again. Please help. :confused:

#2 ·
Instead of using a leash that's only 6' long, use a 30' length of rope instead. When you read other threads, this is often called a 'drag line' and people use this to help teach recall too. When you call your pup, only use "Come" once - with him being attached to the line, he has no opportunity to bolt away from you.

#3 ·
I wouldn't 'correct' him per say for going potty in the house. I would scoop him if you catch him in the act and take him outside. If you correct him for going potty inside he is not associating the correction with 'going' inside but with 'going' in general. And if he's afraid of your 'correction' then the correction might be too harsh.

As for the leash training and going potty, this video really helped us learn how to 'go' on command.

You want to have treats handy. And a command for 'going'-something like (as suggested in his video) 'get busy'...use the command if he goes outside, wait till he is finished and treat. Also, and this may sound strange, but my dogs 'go' around the same area as they've 'gone' before. So, if he goes potty outside, don't immediately pick it up. Next time he is on leash and you want him to go potty outside, take him to the same area he has relieved himself before. And take him to the same area again if you catch him 'going' inside the house...

Lastly, try to set a routine. When to eat, go outside every 1/2 hour-1 hour etc. The crucial times that a pup will need to relieve himself includes: after a nap, after playing and after eating.

As far as getting him to come inside, have you used treats to lure him?

Hope this helps...?

#4 ·
I wouldn't 'correct' him per say for going potty in the house. I would scoop him if you catch him in the act and take him outside. If you correct him for going potty inside he is not associating the correction with 'going' inside but with 'going' in general. And if he's afraid of your 'correction' then the correction might be too harsh.

As for the leash training and going potty, this video really helped us learn how to 'go' on command.

Dog Training - Training Your Dog To Pee And Poop On Command - YouTube

You want to have treats handy. And a command for 'going'-something like (as suggested in his video) 'get busy'...use the command if he goes outside, wait till he is finished and treat. Also, and this may sound strange, but my dogs 'go' around the same area as they've 'gone' before. So, if he goes potty outside, don't immediately pick it up. Next time he is on leash and you want him to go potty outside, take him to the same area he has relieved himself before. And take him to the same area again if you catch him 'going' inside the house...

Lastly, try to set a routine. When to eat, go outside every 1/2 hour-1 hour etc. The crucial times that a pup will need to relieve himself includes: after a nap, after playing and after eating.

As far as getting him to come inside, have you used treats to lure him?

Hope this helps...?
It makes sense that he would be confused if I corrected him for relieving himself. That would explain why he doesn't want to relieve himself in front of me on a leash. And I have tried treats to lure him in. He just doesn't want to come in..

#5 ·
Make sure you never ever scold him after a come command. Get some extra special yummy treats only used for coming back in (chicken, steak, etc). Make it a big party when he comes in YAY, Yippee, good dog! And give him the special treats. It should take long before he knows every time he comes in he gets a party.

#6 ·
I would use a leash or a long line. Any puppy I've had to house-train would be on a leash inside and outside if they weren't in the crate (even if they are just dragging it, WITH direct supervision of course). IMO, it helps resolve the conflict when trying to show them its not ok to pee/poo in the house. You don't have to run to them, screaming NO, chasing them around while they trample all over the poop they just deposited on your floor. When it looks like they are about to go, I grab the leash, and very lightly get their attention (2-3 little pops on the leash. They are on a flat collar, and I'm not doing it hard enough to move them, just to get there attention) "Uh Uh Uh" and walk them out.

When your pup is outside I would have him on a long line. You don't want to keep calling your dog if you know he probably won't comply. Try running away from him, making yourself the most interesting thing in the world and when he comes make sure you have plenty of treats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.