Can't take my 6 Month old Girl out anywhere without her acting crazy... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can't take my 6 Month old Girl out anywhere without her acting crazy...

So I have a 6 month old girl, she is the most friendly dog and loves other people and dogs, which is where the problem begins. Every since we got her at 8 weeks old we have taken her everywhere and introduced her to all different things and yet she still acts crazy and is embarrassing when we take her places where there are other people and dogs. Whenever she sees another dog she wants to get over to them so badly to sniff and play and when she can't get to them she cries and barks and screams like crazy and absolutely will not listen to us. She will not even focus on anything we are saying to her, she is only focused on the other dogs and people and wanting to get over to them. She knows all sorts of commands, but when a dog or person walks by her brain goes into a different mode and will not even look up at us or listen to us. It is really frustrating and almost embarrassing to bring her places because she just whines and screams the whole time like we are torturing her.
Anybody ever have this problem and know how to fix this???
tjheldt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I just posted on a similar thread, lol. Group classes are really great to teach them OB around distractions - being in a group without going crazy. Also work on the "Quiet" command, if the screaming is way overboard. Good luck
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you, we just got her involved in a puppy obedience class. So hopefully that works, it hasn't been working so far but she has only been to two classes.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Don't be discouraged - it takes time. Mine was also like this, and I can tell you that plenty of exercise makes a world of difference too. My barky screamer is always a such a joy to walk home after his swim, lol.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yes... leash correction, verbal correction 'No Unacceptable', keep walking. Always keep walking calmly and remember, time patience and consistency.

The trainer in your class should be able to help with strategies for working her through the teenage terror times.

My mantra when Venus was 6 months old was 'that dog isn't going to want to be your friend if you're acting like that' Eases the tension with the other handler that you are aware of your puppy is acting up and doing something to correct it. When she'd get close to another dog in class or the rare person on the street with a confident larger dog, all she'd do is give kisses and playfully jump on their head.

Venus is 14 months now and about 2 months ago, the switch just went off in her head about having nice manners. I have a couple friendly neighbors with somewhat unruly large dogs I have enlisted to help. She no longer reacts to every dog she sees. I was proud of her for the last few times I've stopped to talk to friends with dogs, she's just watched. When the other dog barked at her, she'd bark back but settle quickly when told. They all grow up LOL

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I think there are quite a few threads on this issue. I happen to be one of the people with this same issue currently so I feel your pain. There is a lot of threads about working at a distance and treating when she looks/no bark, etc. or working on LAT games. I've tried so many of those with my boy. He was showing some improvement, but not much.
This weekend I went walking with a friend and her almost 4 month old and we worked on when he could and couldn't play on the leash with her dog. He was great at the end of the 3 mile walk and if I told him to come he left the puppy alone.
Yesterday he was going nuts when the neighbor dogs were playing in the backyard. Usually he doesn't react to them, but yesterday he did. Instead of me trying to distract I gave a command. When he didn't follow through I corrected with the prong. He calmed down and I went back to praising him and having a good ole time.
I am beginning to think I just was too soft on my boy as later on we walked past two very barky dogs that last time he went NUTS over. This time he just walked along side me, ears perked but didn't bark, didn't pull like a mad man & didn't go nuts. I even heard the lady comment on how well behaved he was. After we got past the dogs I played with him and treated rewarded him for being such a good boy.
In no way am I suggesting you do what I did, but definitely check out the BAT/LAT threads.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

That was the other thing I was wondering, is if this is just a puppy stage and she will grow out of it? or if this is more of a behavioral issue that needs serious work and maybe a behavioralist to fix the problem? because she just went on a walk tonight and we saw a friend with their dog and she went nuts barking and crying trying to get towards the dog to play and wrestle with it. I don't think she is trying to be aggressive but I'm afraid if we ever do come across an aggressive dog and she acts like that towards them, and tries to jump on them and play with them, it will attack her.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

You need to play with the dog more and go to the dog park/have doggie play dates less.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

We have another dog that she plays with a lot and I play and train her everyday.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't read that the OP had any play dates.

Yes with your patience and consistency, she'll grow out of it. Everything's just new and exciting to her now. Walk on, keep everything under control and keep your sense of humor with other people. Eventually you might even have a dog who could care less about other dogs because you're way more fun!

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.