German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   WhaT am I doing wrong? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/426458-what-am-i-doing-wrong.html)

Taz's Mom 03-19-2014 04:18 AM

WhaT am I doing wrong?

Taz is 16 weeks old, He can hold his pee in his crate all night, and when ever he is crated which is only when we are not home. With four of us there is not may times he has to be crated because someone is usually there.

I have tried to keep a schedule that is mostly always the same. Here is my issue, out of the crate he goes every 15 mins I know he can hold it longer than that, he does at night. His only sign he needs to go out is he runs to the room where the door is we take him out of to go potty, only problem is as soon as his feet hit that room he starts going no time to get him out. He always gets lots of praise and treats when he goes outside.

One other thing I can not explain I have to keep his crate door shut because if it is open that's where he chooses to have accidents.:confused: I have had a number of dogs and house trained them can't figure this out.

I know it is probably something I am doing wrong. Also I watch him like a hawk to try and keep accidents from happening. I have also tried feeding him in his crate.

Sorry this is long tried to give as much info as I could so maybe someone could help with suggestions. :help:

Shade 03-19-2014 08:17 AM

Every 15 minutes seems like a lot, has he been checked for a UTI? Some dogs need their water restricted so there's only a limited amount available at all times.

Taz's Mom 03-19-2014 11:40 AM

He has been checked for uti, no uti. I have tried restricting water, even though I may still give to much as that scares me. I am afraid he is not getting enough water that way. Sometimes he will go a little longer than that if he is occupied with a bully bone or something.

SunCzarina 03-19-2014 12:16 PM

Does he like to guzzle his water, get it all over the floor, play with the bowl? Otto wasn't fully potty trained until he was somewhere around 4 months. He LOVED the water. If your pup is the only dog in the house, pick up the bowl when he starts to get too into the water. Give him ice instead. Boys are tougher to potty train than girls...

Jakesworld 03-19-2014 12:17 PM

One of our GSDs Loki, as an adult would have that problem too. There was nothing physically wrong with him. He would head for the back door but leave a "snake trail" on the carpet! So frustrating! He would still come get me first . He'd always come get me when he wanted out. It's much easier to clean up a puddle accident than than one that winds all over the place! My theory is that he just would wait to long before deciding to go outside. Maybe by the time his brain got the signal it was too late. It didn't happen very often. But like I said, he was a well housebroken adult. I think he would get distracted sometimes. I didn't do anything to address the problem, like I said, it didn't happen very often. Just thought I'd share.

SunCzarina 03-19-2014 12:19 PM

oh and you can use a half gallon jug to measure how much he gets every day. Then you know he's getting enough water.

Definitely do the ice cubes. It's water, it's a hockey toy, it's good for the jaws and ear muscles, it's a beautiful thing.

Taz's Mom 03-19-2014 12:59 PM

Thanks for all the ideas on this. Yes he loves ice I I joke and say he needs a sign that's says "will work for ice " lol that's is his favorite reward. I also have 4 small breed dogs,I started restricting water because I think he drinks it so they can't have it. I make him wait his turn,it is also teaching him patients. The one thing that confuses me the most is why he will go into the crate to pee if I don't shut the door. I have faith he will get it eventually.

Diesel7602 03-21-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunCzarina (Post 5229418)
oh and you can use a half gallon jug to measure how much he gets every day. Then you know he's getting enough water.

Definitely do the ice cubes. It's water, it's a hockey toy, it's good for the jaws and ear muscles, it's a beautiful thing.

How much is too much water? My puppy will drink and drink and pee and pee. I've heard there should always be fresh clean water at all times, but he has to pee every 15 min. He has even went to the tub and whine because he wants more water.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Sp00ks 03-21-2014 02:42 PM

I have nothing to add other than about the time I thought ours would never get it, someone flipped a switch and he hasn't had an accident since.

He is about 3 weeks older than yours.