9 month old GSD play biting too hard - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 9 month old GSD play biting too hard

hey all, i am new here and seeking some advice. I have a 9 month old sweet boy named Sampson - Sam for short. He has been in our family since he was 5 months old and he's such a sweet boy and learning so well. However his "puppy biting" is getting a bit out of control. We have been trying to work with him on this issue and have tried the yelping and ignoring and giving him a toy or bone....sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But last night after i had told him no, gave him his toy and i laid on the couch....he turned around and nipped at my arm - hard enough to hurt. And then right after that, my mother in law walked in the house and when he greeted her he nipped at her arm as well - and to clarify, he is not growling or showing any form of aggression here....it seems to be all in playfulness. So we do not know what to do.....we are going to increase his excercise and play time, but I am writing on here today hoping for any other ideas and/or advice I can find. thanks
jafarris69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 07:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey jafarris69, I wrote you a post but lost it cause I wasn't logged on. I have some ideas and I will run them by you when I get back, later. Maybe something helpful.
Jakesworld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey jafarris69, sorry I'm late. Anyway, I have a couple ideas for you. Doesn't mean they'll work for you, but, has helped us, and well can't hurt to try since sounds like you've tried so many other ways. First you didn't say if Sam jumped up on you mother in law. If so, and it was in greeting . Maybe work on greeting only in a "sit". More relaxing . So does Sam know "off"? Good to teach for many reasons. If you can tell when he's going to bite, before he sinks his teeth in say "OFF". But you can't say it after he's nipped. Timing, stop him while he's thinking it. You can use it if he's latched on, but not after he let go. If he bites outa the blue maybe make it not so fun for him . Does he know "easy" like while taking treats? Teach him to bite easy. He needs to know that we naked creatures have fragile skin. While he's calm, let him mouth your hand, if he puts on the pressure, gasp or yelp, then "EASY". The idea is to teach him bite inhibition. While a lot of people would disagree with letting a dog mouth your hands, I don't know another effective way to teach bite pressure without feeling how hard he's biting. Maybe there's other ideas out there. With "easy" when he bites you gasp or yelp and "easy" . Hopefully he'll just release. Or not find it so fun not biting hard . If he does it again, easy and time out. I had to teach bite inhibition to my dog because he was playing too rough with our chiuahua . And it has helped, for me. Maybe it will help you too. Good luck!
Jakesworld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

.. I let mu puppy hold my hand in her mouth but if she started to bite hard I was saying, gentle and after pressed with my finger just under her tongue, after few time it got to the point that she now knows if I say gentle she is biting to hard. I also used term no biting if my desire is to not have my hand in her mouth.
Waldi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 11:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

hey Jakesworld - thanks so much. I don't know why it never dawned on me to use "easy"...he takes his treats very easy when I tell him to. I will def give that a try. We are working on "OFF" but he does not know it yet.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Waldi - what does pressing under the tongue do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.