German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   6 month old GSD mauls out of nowhere (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/425722-6-month-old-gsd-mauls-out-nowhere.html)

Jlmaiorana 03-17-2014 04:16 PM

6 month old GSD mauls out of nowhere

My 6 month old GSD gets very aggressive towards my husband and me when we take her out to the bathroom and on walks. She will be really good until we get far from our house and out of nowhere she will jump up at us and clench her jaws around our arm like in shutzhund and not let go. There is absolutely no distracting her when she does this. When she was younger she play bite/ankle bite, but we had her on the e-coller and a choker and she wasn't bad when using corrections. Now we are using a harness and today I had to drag her home with her jaws around my arm. there was no stopping her. She doesn't do this to other people, just my husband and me. When she is around our trainer, she acts good. I just don't know what is setting her off. She will be walking real good, we will give her high value treats, she seems happy and just out of no-where she starts schutzhund biting and growling and wont let go. No-one around, no dogs around no distraction and she does this. HELP!!!:cry::cry::cry:

Jlmaiorana 03-17-2014 04:21 PM

All the trainers say to raise your arms up so she cant get them, but then she starts aggressively biting your legs and Achilles tendon.

Freddy 03-17-2014 04:27 PM

The last thing I would do when walking a dog I can't control would be to put them on a harness. I would have her on a slip choke.

Jlmaiorana 03-17-2014 04:29 PM

I agree but my husband thinks its cruel and wants to go all positive training.

Freddy 03-17-2014 04:32 PM

It's not working. What is positive about a dog biting you repeatedly?

Msmaria 03-17-2014 04:34 PM

Is she in Schutzhund training? just wondering because you mention schutzhund

Jlmaiorana 03-17-2014 04:35 PM

My husband thinks the neighbor has something to do with it. We can tell they hate that we got our GSD and all the sudden they are throwing gum in our yard so that she would eat it and die. He thinks maybe they sprinkle black gun powder out there or shakes a can of pennies or blows a whistle to agitate her. I don't know, but I'd like to find out what is setting her off to do this. There is absolutely no warning before she does this.

Jlmaiorana 03-17-2014 04:37 PM

No shutzhund she is In beginners obedience class, but she is biting as if she is in shutzhund.

Freddy 03-17-2014 04:41 PM

I don't see how the neighbor's actions would cause aggression directed at you. If you think your neighbor is doing something that could hurt your puppy, set up a camera and see.

In an earlier thread you said you had adjusted schedules so someone is home all the time with her. Does this mean you leave her outside unattended, for long periods of time?

Jlmaiorana 03-17-2014 04:44 PM

No, we are always with her. Always on lead when outside. We don't have a fence around our yard yet but plan on putting one up this summer. She is very attentive of this neighbor house all of the time.