6 month old GSD mauls out of nowhere - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #41 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would take Carmspack's advice on this, but will add, if you are having problems with the neighbors, go the other way, or drive your pup to a trail or a better neighborhood.

I suppose they could have a dog whistle in there and are antagonizing your dog with it. I just see that at terribly unlikely.

It is a pretty extreme reaction though. I think you need a serious trainer/behaviorist -- not someone who is just going to slap a prong collar on the dog.

I would NOT punch this dog, and I would NOT zap it with a stun gun. I would get some recommendations maybe from some people here for people in your area that they have confidence in. This behavior did not start yesterday, and it isn't going to go away overnight -- not an easy fix. You will probably have to change your leadership style and your training style. In the mean time, put a muzzle on the dog when you go for a walk.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 07:57 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlmaiorana View Post
Good point carmspack, . My husband thinks she is attacking because we had the e collar on before and he always got bit, but he refused to use it.
Are you saying while using the e collar the dog would bite your husband???

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #43 (permalink)

[quote=pineconeforestGSD;5217250]*removed quote*

Jeez - what is with people advocating that you ABUSE your dog?? Tazing and punching so hard the dog is sent reeling???

Makes me physically sick to read this stuff. I hope NO-ONE ever listens to this type of advice.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten

Last edited by JakodaCD OA; 03-19-2014 at 05:40 PM. Reason: removed quote
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #44 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlmaiorana View Post
She was 5 months old when trained with these collars and the trainer did well with them.
To state the obvious clearly it didn't work or you would not need this thread for these issues.

You need to slow down, quit punching the dog and find a new approach. You need to establish a "real" bound with the dog. Finding a "competent" qualified certified trainer would be a step in the right direction!

Maybe this could help with establishing a relationship with your dog?
I just got a rescued dog – what do I do? | stickydogblog

When you have a "real" relationship maybe these approches would work better than throwing/abusing him with a bunch of tools has?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e_1u...?v=9FqtL6o7kDE

The most important element in getting the dog you want and not the dog you have is "you"!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
So to recap:

- Ditch the harness, get a collar.
- Get this dog to play tug with a proper tug. Bring said tug on walks, stuff in mouth.
- If dog grabs arms and won't let go - completely disengage your energy until you are an absent, lifeless wet noodle that completely shuts out your pup. I bet that is NOT what she is expecting as a reaction - she is expecting you guys to make a big deal of her on your arm, and whooo - what a fun game!!!

- Find a trainer of working dogs that understands high-drives, redirecting to a tug, and work with said trainer. Treats re-enforce behaviours you want. Some behaviours are so self-rewarding, that extinguishing them takes a lot of skill. You will have to learn how to redirect to something else (tugging with a TOY - not your arms), and how to take away the reward (as in going limp and refusing to play her game).
Yes.

It's a game for your pup. Bad dogs don't get walks, she starts for your arm, tell her just that and take her home at a tight heel.

I would also double handle her. Both you and your husband walk the dog, one on either side with a leash. She goes for someone's arm, the other handler correct her firmly, 'NO! Unacceptable!'

It's going to take time. Forget about the neighbors. If you're always out with her and don't see them, I tend to agree wtih the poster who said your husbands fixating is making her fixate.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 09:41 PM   #46 (permalink)
Elite Member

I love how everyone is pointing out how terrible LF and Pinecone's advice are....when Carm gave very similar advice, just worded it more PC...Swift, extremely stern, lightening correction, and move on, upbeat, and pleasant.

For the record I agree with LF and Carm. We aren't talking about a dog breaking a down or pulling on a lead, we're talking about a dog breaking the skin of the owner. Don't know the whole story, or if it's true>>("bone crushing"...really?). Honestly, just sounds like an out of control dog, with no leadership, no guidance, no structure, and owners that are really letting emotions take the balance out of the dog's life. I think the dog will be fine with appropriate structure and balanced, clear, training.

My advice is always to seek a trainer in these situations (with this would come a LOT of obedience, appropriate outlets for drive, etc....) However, I think swift, and as Carm put it..."lightening" corrections, will need to be in the dog's future. Dog is out of control. I feel like a broken record, but these scenarios are why BSL's and prejudices exist.

I've also now seen multiple, intense, out of control dogs, be put under control...it doesn't take much in experienced hands. Like LF said...most only need one "lesson." Dog's are very black and white. It's when WE make things grey because of our emotions, that the dogs get mucked up and confused.

Last edited by DaniFani; 03-17-2014 at 09:45 PM.
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #47 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No PUPPY needs a Hand of God lesson being punched in the head. This is a misguided PUPPY we're talking about here.

This puppy needs a prong collar and a short leash. Short FIRM and focused lessons. With a trainer. She's out of control.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master Member

Default GSD pulls out of nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunCzarina View Post
I tend to agree wtih the poster who said your husbands fixating is making her fixate.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by ApselBear; 03-17-2014 at 09:53 PM.
ApselBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #49 (permalink)

Wow I never hit or punched my dog and never will. That would make the situation worse. I just played ball with her in the house for hours and she sits and waits till I toss the ball. She did great. It's just when we are on walks and sometimes bathroom. I kinda jumped into the first trainer I found. Now we are trying an all positive trainer. She did only have one class with her so far and she did well. Just don't know what is triggering her on these walks. I think my husband and I will start walking her together and not in our neighborhood. See if it's different. As far as the title? Lol blame my stupid phones auto correct. I need to turn that off.
Jlmaiorana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 09:57 PM   #50 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniFani View Post
I love how everyone is pointing out how terrible LF and Pinecone's advice are....when Carm gave very similar advice, just worded it more PC...Swift, extremely stern, lightening correction, and move on, upbeat, and pleasant.

For the record I agree with LF and Carm. We aren't talking about a dog breaking a down or pulling on a lead, we're talking about a dog breaking the skin of the owner. Don't know the whole story, or if it's true>>("bone crushing"...really?). Honestly, just sounds like an out of control dog, with no leadership, no guidance, no structure, and owners that are really letting emotions take the balance out of the dog's life. I think the dog will be fine with appropriate structure and balanced, clear, training.

My advice is always to seek a trainer in these situations (with this would come a LOT of obedience, appropriate outlets for drive, etc....) However, I think swift, and as Carm put it..."lightening" corrections, will need to be in the dog's future. Dog is out of control. I feel like a broken record, but these scenarios are why BSL's and prejudices exist.

I've also now seen multiple, intense, out of control dogs, be put under control...it doesn't take much in experienced hands. Like LF said...most only need one "lesson." Dog's are very black and white. It's when WE make things grey because of our emotions, that the dogs get mucked up and confused.
I am not against a correction. I would not punch a dog that is acting like this puppy is, nor hit it with a stun gun. Not when there are so many other ways to train a dog. Not when, this is happening in a situation where I can set it up.

Why not put a basket muzzle on this dog and walk it to get its exercise in, then take the muzzle off and play/work with it? The moment this dog gets crazy-aggressive, lightning fast, game over.

I'm sorry, but I can't be afraid of a six month old puppy. I certainly am not going to punch one. But I am not going to let it bite me either.

I think I am hearing that they were using e-collars and prong collars already on this puppy, and so now we have a puppy that needs a strong correction. Or needs to be outwitted.

We should be able to outwit a puppy. If we can't maybe we should go for a different kind of dog, maybe a setter.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.