6 month old GSD mauls out of nowhere - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2014, 04:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

Buy a bite sleeve for long walks.
Problem solved.
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

If the neighbors were doing something, you would know it as you are always out with her. Is it when you turn to come home? Does she have a favorite toy you can bring along and let her carry .. it's hard for her to bite you and carry a toy. Maybe you can have the trainer watch from a distance while you walk her and see what's going on.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

The things your husband suspects they are doing to agitate her (objects in can, whistle) you would witness if she was with you.

Not trying to be argumentative, trying to say you are not communicating on the same level as your dog. In an elevated state of play when he was younger, my dog quickly learned I was not to be the target of one of his bites.

Whether you choose to use the slip choke or not, please understand the harness gives the dog more power. By removing any stress on a body part created by pulling, the dog is free to pull to it's heart's content. I used one on my dog when we first started Schutzhund protection. Your problem at the moment is control.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 05:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Her favorite toy is no interest to her nor is high valued treats at this point. If I can even get it in her mouth, she just drops it and immediately attaches to my arm. You throw the ball and she has no interest. I've thought of the bite sleeve, lol but that would just tell her its "ok" to do this. Something is setting her off and I cant figure what it is. She is walking and heeling good, attention on me with her treats and all the sudden out of nowhere she attacks. Then people drive by and Im pretty embarrassed when they watch me get mulled by my own dog.
Jlmaiorana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 05:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

Just throwing it out there so those on the board with more knowledge can comment:

Is this fear agression brought on by a car or something?

OP, does this just happen on walks?
Old 03-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

This is the only time when she'll chew on you? It just seems like a crazy odd reaction no matter what the stimulus.

Honestly this is something you need a prof. trainer to view in person. They'll be able to dissect what the dog is actually up to.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

We did catch the neighbor kid swinging his keys around one night and said, "they got their f**n dog out." That agitated her, but my husband thinks they do things in their house and only our dog can hear it. It's only this particular neighbor she seems agitated about. Even when they aren't out, she is fixated on their house. No its not when we are heading home, but she does take off and bolts toward the house when we are on our way home and the house is in view.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

*removed quote post removed previously*

LF, how does that work with your "bite trained dog"?

Last edited by JakodaCD OA; 03-19-2014 at 05:34 PM. Reason: quote removal
Old 03-17-2014, 05:13 PM   #19 (permalink)

There were no cars and when one is coming we always use a treat to get her to sit and it works good.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

These are my thoughts - they could be all wet as I haven't seen the dog in action, nor witnessed your training so far.

First, what is her threshold? It sounds like you know the distance when this happens -- work UNDER threshold - ie, turn around before she reaches this point.
Second, if you have used an electric on her previously, it is a little bit late to go to positive only... in that you have brought the fight out in the dog probably with the ecollar.
Try a flat leather collar if you want to move away from what you were using previously.
Third, is it true that if someone else has her on lead this behavior does not happen? If so, video how they handle her. Then video how you handle her in the same situation. See how your handling is different than the other persons. It will probably tell you a lot.
Fourth, Do the other people that she does not grip (I'm going to call it a grip because you haven't mentioned puncture wounds or needing to visit the er) walk the same route?
And another question - what happens if you keep walking? Dog attached to your arm, you keep going. Forget luring her or anything and just keep walking?
does she do this on every route you take?
what if you drive her away from the neighborhood and walk her? How long does she go without this behavior?
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.