German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Behavior with toys. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/423994-behavior-toys.html)

Diesel7602 03-13-2014 08:34 PM

Behavior with toys.

I'm very new being a gsd mom and wanted to ask y'all , since your the experts. ((Or more then me =) ) when my puppy plays with toys, is it normal for him to shake them back and forth very hard and fast? I know puppies chew, and I'm teaching mine about but inhibition. Especially since he is only 6 weeks old. I wanted to know if this is a normal behavior, or should I teach him to be softer? Thanks a head of time!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

SARpup 03-13-2014 08:44 PM

All puppies and dogs I have ever had do this. No biggie. My current puppy is so clumsy at 13 weeks, he has big stuffed toys in his mouth and he shakes them but he is top heavy and falls over!

stmcfred 03-13-2014 08:47 PM

Lola does it. I assumed it was normal.

Baillif 03-13-2014 08:59 PM

Its called thrashing. Some dogs like it more than others. Its a genetic thing i think, but it can be actively encouraged.

ZoeD1217 03-13-2014 09:01 PM

Zoe loves to shake her toys.

SunCzarina 03-13-2014 09:40 PM

Normal. Running around thrashing a road cone and it hits you in the back of the knee, normal level: Otto.

I'm a little concerned since the pup is 6 weeks. That's the age where they should be learning give and take in play, testing limits with their litter mates. Careful what his play agressive experiences are for the next few weeks!

Diesel7602 03-13-2014 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunCzarina (Post 5196274)
Normal. Running around thrashing a road cone and it hits you in the back of the knee, normal level: Otto.

I'm a little concerned since the pup is 6 weeks. That's the age where they should be learning give and take in play, testing limits with their litter mates. Careful what his play agressive experiences are for the next few weeks!

that's why I was asking. He does really good with the biting. If I say no and pull my hand away he stops and licks. He only does this with his toys and not on humans. But very cautious to make sure 100% that he will not do this behavior on any one. I just didn't know if I should let him do it with toys. Don't want to confuse the little "big" guy. Thank you for your respond.

Diesel7602 03-13-2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SARpup (Post 5195922)
All puppies and dogs I have ever had do this. No biggie. My current puppy is so clumsy at 13 weeks, he has big stuffed toys in his mouth and he shakes them but he is top heavy and falls over!

Lol. I bet that's way cute =D thanks for your reply.

Wild Wolf 03-13-2014 10:37 PM

I've always called it "killing the prey".

mego 03-13-2014 10:38 PM

I always encourage this
First..I think it's hilarious, and second it makes tugging with her a lot more fun - she gets more into it... though be careful, I was using a two handled tug and one hand slipped and her thrashing jerked my elbow weird (she's almost 70 lbs now..) and it was out of commission for a day or two lol