Toy Guarding? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Toy Guarding?

Is it considered toy guarding if there is no growling or barking?

There are 2 large balls outside that Zoe and the kids play with. It works out well IMO bc Zoe usually keeps one in her mouth and it cuts down on her nipping little legs.

What I've noticed is when my daughter kicks the ball Zoe likes to get it and instead of running she wants to stand over it while holding the other in her mouth. I won't lie I thought it was funny at first but after reading on here I don't know if this is the start of a guarding issue. She isn't mouthy about it though...my daughter will usually gently kick it from beneath her and continue playing with no problem.

I have a short video I'm just not sure how to attach it just yet. Of course I could be over thinking this as well.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ZoeD1217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

My pup does that too. He doesn't growl or posture. He's just wanting to play with both at once but can't figure out how (since he won't drop the one in his mouth). IF there was a time when his body language changed, then I would address it, but he doesn't resource guard from me .. ever.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7ywzXWj8EE
Old 03-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I don't really know much about posture so I suppose I should read up on that. I feel silly since I know she is just a puppy but I definitely don't want to neglect problematic behavior either. I have learned so much on here but it has certainly made me slightly more neurotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galathiel View Post
My pup does that too. He doesn't growl or posture. He's just wanting to play with both at once but can't figure out how (since he won't drop the one in his mouth). IF there was a time when his body language changed, then I would address it, but he doesn't resource guard from me .. ever.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Aww, that video's so cute! What an adorable bunch you've got!! IMO, Zoe is just having a fun time playing that famous dog game "All the Toys are Mine" and of course having teeth to claim one while playing with another works perfectly, lol.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
Aww, that video's so cute! What an adorable bunch you've got!! IMO, Zoe is just having a fun time playing that famous dog game "All the Toys are Mine" and of course having teeth to claim one while playing with another works perfectly, lol.
Thank you!!

As soon as I posted the video I thought I might come across like a nut job but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask

They all love playing together and even though she's still very bitey she is pretty good with my little girls.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 03-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm not a professional, but my pup would do that. At 14 months he will still try to get as many of the toys in his mouth as he can. However we can take anything away from him including raw meat bones, so I don't think it means its guarding.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 04:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

It's so sad trying to see Varik try to pick up two soft balls. Umm not physically possible, but it's interesting seeing him try to figure it out. Once in a great while, I'll throw a second ball out after he's gone after the first ball. It takes him forever to get back to me as he tries to figure out how to have his cake (ball) and eat (fetch) it too!
Old 03-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Toys represent prey: the ball hops like a mouse, and it flies like a bird. In couple of this pictures you can see clearly that this canine wasn't satisfied just with one mouse https://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=e...Q&ved=0CB4QsAQ
When the dog guards his toy he stands legs apart, head down, nose to the toy, and growls ready to bite anyone who wants to deprive him from the object. Train your girls and your dog to give the ball placing it right in the palm by command "Give". The ball goes into your hand as exchange for a treat. It takes time for the dog to understand that without bringing it back and you throwing it there wouldn't be any fun. Children cannot train it, you should train and children will play.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 04:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yup the trick to resolving toy guarding is to not put the dog in a position to practice the behavior. This means pick up anything the dog might want to guard. Then teach and play interactive toy games with the dog to foster trust and cooperation between family members and the dog.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.