Still having serious issues with our Pup - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2014, 08:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Let me get this straight, you are working two jobs, waiting for the puppy to bark to take him out of his crate to potty, he is having five accidents a day in his crate, you are usuing a prong collar on a baby puppy, and you won't let him out of the crate much because he acts up jumping, nipping.

the dog is getting two 15-22.5 minute exercise sessions per day.

You need to call the breeder and GIVE the pup back. That's right, don't expect to get money back from her. Give the puppy back so she can work with it and find it a new home.
No I take him out on a regular schedule (2a, 6a, 8a, 11p, 3p, 5p, 6p, 8p, 10p), he has just gotten off his schedule where he would relieve himself when we go out. Then sometimes even just minutes after he'll go. I try to spend the extra time with him at 6am after his feeding and at 5pm when I get home.

Sorry I am not some rich person who does not have to work, or that I just don't work at all so I can spend every waking moment with the dog. I do the best I can with what I have. I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on new furniture after he is already destroyed my two couches in the course of 2 days.

I try to not keep him in the crate. He eats at electrical wires. He jumps on my 7 and almost 6 year old. He is more hyper than most GSP I have come across.

And the prong collar is a training collar that my breeder (and dozens of other breeders I have talk with GSP) and it's used during my training with him. He has his regular collar otherwise.

Last edited by LTParis; 03-12-2014 at 08:27 PM.
LTParis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTParis View Post
No I take him out on a regular schedule (2a, 6a, 8a, 11p, 3p, 5p, 6p, 8p, 10p), he has just gotten off his schedule where he would relieve himself when we go out. Then sometimes even just minutes after he'll go. I try to spend the extra time with him at 6am after his feeding and at 5pm when I get home.

Sorry I am not some rich person who does not have to work, or that I just don't work at all so I can spend every waking moment with the dog. I do the best I can with what I have.

And the prong collar is a training collar that my breeder (and dozens of other breeders I have talk with GSP) and it's used during my training with him. He has his regular collar otherwise.
Do you have bedding in his crate?

How old is the puppy?
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 08:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

the thing is he is what ? almost 5 months old? he should be housetrained, the obedience stuff, well that can be still 'puppy stuff'.

You should NOT have to be taking him out to potty all those times, BUT, I think you have to 'up' the exercise and training.

Despite the schedule you have, if you want to make it work with this dog, you need to make a BIG change, because what your doing isn't working as you admit.

My males were soooo easy to house train, and never have I had a puppy have accidents after even a 4mth of age, and that's me giving it extra time..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 08:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Originally we kept bedding in his crate but he destroyed that. I now keep a bed outside for when I try to spend some time with him. Most of the time he just tries to bite it or hump it.

He is almost 6 months now.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This doesn't sound like the type of home this type of dog should be in I know it's hard, and I know you feel like a failure, but it doesn't sound like you can give this dog what he needs. These dogs need a lot of work, and a lot of time. Some families just don't have the right lifestyle or schedule for it.

I would cut your losses and do right by the dog- return him to the breeder while he is still young enough to be easily rehomed. Keeping up with this is going to make both you and the dog miserable. The only other option is a major overhaul on how you approach everything with the dog.

DDR dogs are a force to be reckoned with. They're not an adventure to be taken lightly- most non-working homes who have them still actively train in some sort of sport, etc. That's the level of commitment this dog is going to take. You deserve to be happy just as much as the dog, so find a dog that suits your lifestyle, rather than stressing about changing your lifestyle to fit the dog.

I'm curious- what drew you to this breeder? These lines? This dog? Did you have goals you wanted to reach with training, some sort of activity?

Last edited by LoveEcho; 03-12-2014 at 08:32 PM.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 08:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

Well this is why I posted here. What am I supposed to do? What is an adequate amount of time? How can I keep him around the house without him joyfully attacking my kids, or eating a power cord, or something. I honestly only have so much time in my day, trying to raise kids, trying to do my regular job (which is time consuming) and my side job (which takes a bit of time).
Old 03-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTParis View Post
Well this is why I posted here. What am I supposed to do? What is an adequate amount of time? How can I keep him around the house without him joyfully attacking my kids, or eating a power cord, or something. I honestly only have so much time in my day, trying to raise kids, trying to do my regular job (which is time consuming) and my side job (which takes a bit of time).
That's why we are saying that it might not be the right fit for either of you. I'm talking, hours a day. Yeah, I work and have other responsibilities, but pretty much all of my spare time is with my dogs. Typically, my dogs get worked in the morning. Then they're crated while I'm working. Then after work and chores, we play, walk, hike, etc for a couple of hours, and throw in some training. Weekends, there's a few hours a day devoted to training. These types of dogs, they're a lifestyle.

I would start with upping the exercise and taking an obedience class. Start from scratch with potty training. The dog isn't getting enough stimulation, so he acts up, he's crated, and gets less stimulation, etc.

Last edited by LoveEcho; 03-12-2014 at 08:38 PM.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you do have any bedding in his crate, get it out of there.

Are you shutting the water off at night, and do you put his food down for 10 minutes and then pick it up?

Usually, if you put the food down for 10 to 15 minutes and then remove the bowl, the dog will be on a better schedule. It is better for knowing whether or not he is ill. He will eat everything when you put it down and if he turns away from it, you will know immediately that something is wrong. If you shut water off at 7PM and take him out one last time at 11PM, he should make it to 6AM.

You cannot crate the dog all night and all day and all evening.

You need to go back to house-training 101 and start on the weekend, and tether the dog to you, and take him out. And then give him treats and praise when he potties outside, happy potty voice.

Keep him right next to you all day long all weekend long.

The thing is, you have abused the crate already, and I don't like the idea of putting the dog in it for even two 4 hour sessions while you are at work. I would suggest a kennel to put up in the garage or basement, but that won't help you house train the puppy.

If you had bedding in the crate, removing it, and cleaning the crate with an enzyme based cleaner may help. Do not replace any bedding at this point.

Crating will keep the pup safe while you cannot pay attention to him, but it cannot be used for 20 hours a day. If you cannot find a way to get your daytime crate time down to a total of 8 or 9 hours, and the night time crate time 6-7 hours -- while you sleep, then you need to send the dog to Diane or back to the breeder. It is simply too much time in the crate.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 08:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What was your reason for getting a puppy? Did your schedule suddenly change where there would be no time for working with him? If you can, track him(use his meals for this) it helps work the brain.
If you can't find the time to give him quality stimulation, he's better off being rehomed. Call your breeder.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

Would the breeder be willing to maybe give you another young dog/young adult if you returned this one?

I agree with LoveEcho, that it sounds like he may be much more than you can handle and not a good fit for your lifestyle..

I have the luxury of being able to spend ALOT of time with my dogs, I've only really had DDR/czech lines, and because of that luxury, I've had/have some really wonderful dogs in my life, however, I DID have/and still do, devote alot of time to them..

I know most don't have the luxury I have, and that's why I think it's so important when one gets a puppy, that they have their eyes wide open when it comes to the time and committment it takes to raise one..Getting one that fits into a person's 'wants and don't wants' is key to making it successful

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.