Help! Puppy Biting - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2014, 08:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help! Puppy Biting

Hi All! We've got a 2 months old GSD but he keeps on biting me and my legs is full of bruises and scratch because of him. It doesn't matter if Im walking, seating or just standing. I've tried to give him chew toys just to remove his attention on biting me but after a few minutes his back on again even the "No" words doesn't work. To my surprise he never do it to my husband. Just me! Need help here! Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ourmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How much mental stimulation/exercise is he getting? He's still a baby and sleeps a lot, but think of them as young toddlers- when they're tired, they act out. When they're bored, they act out. When they want something, they act out. They lack impulse control and explore the world with their mouths, so biting you is FUN!

Unfortunately the biting is one thing this breed is very known for (they aren't called landsharks for nothing). It's not an instant fix... it's a phase. It's a long one, but patience and consistency with redirecting are the keys. At this age, your puppy really doesn't understand what "no" means, especially not in this context. Up the level of controlled interaction- they demand attention with their mouths. If they're over-tired, they'll get extremely mouthy... nap time in the crate is your best friend.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

My wife and child are both bit up, pretty good. Raised bumps on the wife's arms. My bites have healed up. Nobody is going to like my solution so all I can say is control the situation.. Get the dog outside on a leash, wear him or her down, pack the dog with food and crate the dog, so you can heal up. If you don't put a stop to it now, expect it to get worse..
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehrgutcsg View Post
My wife and child are both bit up, pretty good. Raised bumps on the wife's arms. My bites have healed up. Nobody is going to like my solution so all I can say is control the situation.. Get the dog outside on a leash, wear him or her down, pack the dog with food and crate the dog, so you can heal up. If you don't put a stop to it now, expect it to get worse..
Since the pup is only 8 weeks old, it's going to get worse before it gets better anyways

Mental exercise is going to be more effective than physical at this point, and they're like sponges right now- so use it to your advantage!

My 16 week old has it pretty well under control, unless she's very tired.... like toddlers, they get wound up and snotty when they're over-tired (after a long walk, long play, end of the day, etc)- crate-time to wind down is good.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.