German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Help! Puppy Biting (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/423090-help-puppy-biting.html)

ourmerlin 03-12-2014 09:14 AM

Help! Puppy Biting

Hi All! We've got a 2 months old GSD but he keeps on biting me and my legs is full of bruises and scratch because of him. It doesn't matter if Im walking, seating or just standing. I've tried to give him chew toys just to remove his attention on biting me but after a few minutes his back on again even the "No" words doesn't work. To my surprise he never do it to my husband. Just me! Need help here! Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

LoveEcho 03-12-2014 10:10 AM

How much mental stimulation/exercise is he getting? He's still a baby and sleeps a lot, but think of them as young toddlers- when they're tired, they act out. When they're bored, they act out. When they want something, they act out. They lack impulse control and explore the world with their mouths, so biting you is FUN!

Unfortunately the biting is one thing this breed is very known for (they aren't called landsharks for nothing). It's not an instant fix... it's a phase. It's a long one, but patience and consistency with redirecting are the keys. At this age, your puppy really doesn't understand what "no" means, especially not in this context. Up the level of controlled interaction- they demand attention with their mouths. If they're over-tired, they'll get extremely mouthy... nap time in the crate is your best friend.

sehrgutcsg 03-12-2014 10:36 AM

My wife and child are both bit up, pretty good. Raised bumps on the wife's arms. My bites have healed up. Nobody is going to like my solution so all I can say is control the situation.. Get the dog outside on a leash, wear him or her down, pack the dog with food and crate the dog, so you can heal up. If you don't put a stop to it now, expect it to get worse..

LoveEcho 03-12-2014 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sehrgutcsg (Post 5182338)
My wife and child are both bit up, pretty good. Raised bumps on the wife's arms. My bites have healed up. Nobody is going to like my solution so all I can say is control the situation.. Get the dog outside on a leash, wear him or her down, pack the dog with food and crate the dog, so you can heal up. If you don't put a stop to it now, expect it to get worse..

Since the pup is only 8 weeks old, it's going to get worse before it gets better anyways :wild:

Mental exercise is going to be more effective than physical at this point, and they're like sponges right now- so use it to your advantage!

My 16 week old has it pretty well under control, unless she's very tired.... like toddlers, they get wound up and snotty when they're over-tired (after a long walk, long play, end of the day, etc)- crate-time to wind down is good.