3 month old GSD bitting - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 3 month old GSD bitting

I have a 3 month old male gsd who is super smart and knows several commands so far. But i cannot get him to stop biting when he plays. He growls and jumps and bites you sometimes it seems he is just playing and other times it seems he is acting like he is the boss. I have tried giving him other toys putting him in a different room. I have been told so many different things like you cant discipline this breed with any type of force.( not force like hitting or pushing him) We also have a 7 yr old saint bernard and when he was a puppy and did these things i put him on his back every time. But now im being told that you cant do those types of things with a gsd puppy. Any info on what you all do to get through this would be great! I want to get this under control asap. My daughter cant even run trough the house and play normally because he chases and bites her.
Jaxson'smom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

You need to be firm and use the same command to discipline every time (it's a firm NO in our home). Once he stops the up appealing behavior (biting in this instance) immediately reward. I know it sounds redundant and vague but GSDs are brilliant and learn so much by constant repetition and patience.

Be a responsible pet owner, leave the breeding to the experts.
FirefighterGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I will really try to check. But what does your dog do when you put it on its back?
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sorry but if you can push a dog on its back and get away with it you sound like the weak one, I hated to say to say that . I can do things with my dogs and a whole lot of work, I will not got hurt but they don't roll over either
Old 03-09-2014, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well yes my dogs do what I tell them to, they will shake your hand. You sound weak
Old 03-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

long before you are firm and discipline and shout out commands the dog has to be taught something .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 11:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

I haven't put him on his back because i was told that with this breed it was not okay to do that. It only took a few times with my saint to understand that he could not continue to behave the way he was and i was told by my saints vet that putting him on his back is something that should be done because its what his mom would have done to him. He is an amazing well behaved well balanced dog. I also walk all different types of dogs at a local shelter i volunteer at and have had no issues from the very small Chihuahua to the pit bull so i don't think it is weakness. And these are dogs that I just met and have no idea what kind of personality they may have. I just am getting mixed signals from everyone on what type of discipline he should be getting. Some say to put him on his back some say never do that.
Jaxson'smom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 11:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ok put your dog on its back with hand on its chest , trust me! does it lay there or fight you?
Old 03-09-2014, 11:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

will it bite and fight to get up?
Old 03-09-2014, 11:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

What does putting the dog on his back have anything to do with anything? And what is this "you look weak if you don't" business? Some people do it to their dogs, some people don't. I've done it and not done it and never had a problem with respect from any dog either way. So who cares lol

If you want to teach your dog not to bite you, look up bite inhibition. Plenty of techniques, so give them a try. A firm "no bite" and stopping play, or redirecting to a toy worked for me. Never had to put my dog on his back in regards to the biting, so why not try something you're more comfortable with?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.