German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   "new" puppy. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/421585-new-puppy.html)

kaileyjayyd 03-09-2014 03:43 PM

"new" puppy.

First off, I'd like to say hi and that I am new to this forum. :) (this may be longish)

I really joined because I am at my wits end with our puppy and I NEED HELP. we got her when she was 9 weeks old. she was the calmest puppy there and seemed like such a sweet heart. now, she is not a pure breed german shepherd. she is also mixed with husky and wolf.

we understood we would have to deal with puppy biting but she is now 17 weeks old and bites SO much and its hard! any time we try to correct her she only comes back at us harder. I have a 1 and a half year old who is terrified of being around her because of the biting. she'll go after my daughters thighs and everything. I have tried the yelping when she does bite too hard, which only results in her lunging at our faces to bite us. I have tried grabbing her muzzle putting her head to our chest and firmly telling her "NO BITING" still no help. I have tried replacing our hands, feet, faces ..etc with the chew toys we have for her. I tried "pinning" her. I have tried shoving my hand to the back of her mouth when she bites my hand and lastly I have tried a spray bottle because the vet told me to try that.

none of these have worked. mind you, we give her tons of toys and bones (the nice large chewy, because she still has her puppy teeth, juicy yummy bones)

along with this, we're also having a problem with her bouncing from couch to couch. she doesn't listen when corrected. we have had her for 2 months I would figure we would see a difference in her behavior.

she loves the outside and gets plenty of exercise. she has done very well with learning tricks like sit, paw (both paws), lay down, roll over.

OH and one more thing. she is very protective over her bones. she growls when we pet her while she's chewing on the bone. when she has done this I remove the bone from her, place it at my feet and don't allow her to have it until she no longer has interest in it and moves on. then I make her sit, wait and give it back (will this work) she was like this with her food at first but we have managed to fix that! toys, are no problem she really doesn't give a hoot.

I need this help, I need to see progress because again we have a 1 and half year old daughter and in June we are going to have a newborn.

Mary Beth 03-09-2014 06:14 PM

This thread may help you http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...nhibition.html I would try to do things with her that will give her an outlet for her biting and also tire her out, such as tug and make sure she ends up winning Play with a flirt pole. Also take her for long walks.

Nigel 03-09-2014 08:40 PM

Make the toys you use for redirection "interesting" interact with her using the toy to where she'll come to value them. I'd quit grabbing the muzzle, alpha rolling/pinning etc... Will only excite her more. Might try tethering/leashing her to you so you have control at all times and restrict access to the kids. Do you use a crate? Do you have a trainer?

JakodaCD OA 03-09-2014 08:44 PM

I'm no expert on huskies, but I've heard they can be a stubborn breed, and with the wolf well, that "is" a wild animal..The mixture you've got may not be suitable for a family with very young kids.

kaileyjayyd 03-10-2014 12:17 AM

I've heard mix things on the wolf in her, either you can train them or you can't. I'm not one to just give up on a dog and boot them out the door so I'm up for trying anything.

we are crate training her. after she eats she goes in there for a few, is let out .. she takes naps in there and sleeps through the night in it.

and we are having a trainer take a look at her behavior. just to see if it's normal puppy behavior or if it is the wolf in her that's making her too much to handle or if she is trying to play "alpha"