German Shepherds Forum banner

Puppy not satisfied if sleeping area!

611 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  carmspack 
#1 ·
We just adopted a 3 month male GS pup. We've been trying to crate train (despite all the whining and barking) but we are stern that is his place of stay. However, in the beginning when he's free from his crate (during day, playtime, and yes we're watching him like a hawk) we noticed he's like to sleep or take naps on kitchen floor next to his crate. Then about 1-2 says ago, he's been interested in going downstairs to our entry way and stay there and lay on the tile floor and falls alseep. I feel bad picking him up or waking him up to go inside his crate, but he should start learning it is his sleeping den.

Not sure what type of behavior this is. But if someone can advise me as what to do or what I can learn from his migrating from kitchen area to downstairs entry way, is greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
Delgado loved his crate, but he never put himself to bed in it without me telling him to go there and locking the door. It doesn't mean that your pups hates it or never will learn to take naps in it, he's simply choosing a nap place that suits him for that moment.

#3 ·
Maybe he is hot. Tile floors are usually nice and cool. My dog would sometimes got to the basement and lie on the cool tile floor on hot days.

#4 ·
The crate is an area which allows you to have constructive confinement . When you are out, or unable to supervise , crating with the door closed, ensures that the pup can't chew your electrical wiring, or pick up a potted plant and swing it around, or chew your shoes , or get into the garbage.
The crate comes in handy when you want to remove the dog from a situation . It is his quiet place where he is not disturbed .
When you put the dog into the crate do so without great drama .
Pop a little treat in , place dog into crate , close door , and good bye .
Let him protest , as long as you have ensured that there is no urgent need which should have been taken care of before crating.
You don't need to be stern. Just do it matter of factly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.