German Shepherds Forum banner

16week old growling at kid

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Twyla 
#1 ·
I'm not sure whether to be worried or not. We have a friend's child visiting, he is 9 and our 16 week old gsd was sleeping on the floor & the kid went over & started rubbing her. She growled a low growl at him but he kept rubbing her. She growled again & I said 'no stop that'. He kept rubbing her. By then I should have stopped him but I was on the phone. Then she growled again & went to nip him but he pulled away in time.

Now we have 3 children ourselves & this hasn't happened to them. I know she was giving him a warning that he ignored but was she out of line? I'm starting puppy training classes with her on saturday too.

Thanks for any feedback.

#5 ·
Our 10 week old GSD today let out a growl to my wife as she tried to place the pup in the crate. She is now under very careful watch, after I took over, as the pack leader, put her inside and I await this to be corrected as soon as it start's, this time not by my doing.. ;)

Nip it in the paw ! :apple: :apple:

#8 ·
Many puppies are sensitive about being handled. A good way to nip it in the paw is to feed her treats while handling her every day. My girl has some retained hand shyness, and we wonder if this was done with her as a baby :)

#11 ·
OP, what is the history on this pup?

I would expect a 16 week pup to go more into the land shark phase - grab and chase the hand- instead of growl and nip - unless she isn't feeling good... Has she recently been to the vet for vaccinations and check up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.