Ryker's Bad behaviour! Pls HELP!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Ryker's Bad behaviour! Pls HELP!!!

I am so frustrated about my dog. He is turning 5 months soon. Until now, i'm having a hard time to straighten up his behaviour. He doesn't obey. These are the things that he does that makes me frustrated:
1. HE DOESN'T OBEY.
2. POOING/PEEING EVERYWHERE OR ON ONE CERTAIN SPOT. I BOUGHT HIM A CRATE AND PADS BUT HE CHEWED ON ALL THE PADS LAYING AROUND.
3.IF YOU SAY NO, HE WONT STOP BARKING AND BIT ME.
4.JUMPING ON PEOPLE.
5.BITING/CHEWING WALLS, FURNITURE, SHOES ETC.
6.HE WILL BITE ME WHILE IM SITTING, OR STANDING, WALKING OR JUST MOVING AROUND.

Please guys...ADVICES please....THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Last edited by charliyewchyn; 02-24-2014 at 01:14 PM.
charliyewchyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Lol, you're yelling at us - are you yelling at your puppy too? If you are, then this has to stop - you can make things worse by being excited and yelling.

If he isn't obeying, he might not understand what you're asking. What have you taught him so far? If he's eliminating on the same spot, he's trained himself to go there. Use special cleaners to get the smell out, not regular stuff, like Nature's Miracle. Chewing is normal - does he have toys?

If you get into some classes with him, you'll enjoy him alot more and give him a break too. Even reading some books would help you out. Is he your first puppy?
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What training classes and exercise are you doing with him? Honestly, he sounds like he's bored and trying to engage you in play.

They are a highly active breed, he sounds pretty normal for a GSD pup. Don't get frustrated with him, he's just a baby, I know it's hard to deal with them at that age sometimes, but you might try changing your routine up a bit to incorporate more training and something like nosework.

If he's not pottying outside, you need to go back to the basics with potty training and take him out more often, and praise like crazy when he goes outside.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

First of all, you DO sound super frustrated. Take a breath (or 3 or 5) and just calm down and try to approach it rationally.

Second, the old saying "a tired puppy is a good puppy" is so very true for these dogs. Exercise and heavy play time is so very important. Throw the ball, or whatever, walk walk, walk, whatever it takes to wear him out. Whatever it is that he loves to run for, do it! We try to get at least one good long play session in when we get home from work, it makes evenings much more survivable!

Third, I'm going through the land-shark phase with Odin (almost 6 months) and there are just moments when I feel like I've HAD it. He either goes outside with the other dogs for a bit or gets crated. So if yours is not being crate trained, I'd seriously CONSIDER crate training for your own sanity's sake. Odin can be SO naughty, chewing on stuff he's not supposed to (including me and the cats and other dogs and furniture). The heavy play time really has helped with it, but there are times when he just needs a time out. If distraction with an appropriate chew toy isn't working and he's maniacally chewing on whatever comes into view, Odin gets crated. Do you have ropes and other stuff that he's allowed to chew on?

Fourth, on house training, watch him like a hawk inside. If he isn't in view, he needs to BE in view. Crating again is a very helpful tool in the house training phase. Odin was supposedly house trained when we got him at 4 months, but it took about a month to really get it solid for us and him. He had/has signals that I have never seen in another dog that we've had.

Fifth, jumping and barking/biting...NOT good but can be broken. For jumping, I cross my arms and turn away, it's the only thing that worked with my last GSD. My dad used to grab their front feet and pretend to dance with them and they didn't like that--to the point where they quite jumping on him. Some people use the "knee up" method, but I've had some bad experiences with that. The barking and biting, that's the whole land-shark thing. I hold Odin's muzzle (he's not a barker unless strangers come in the house) and say "no BITE" with my big voice. If he doesn't cool off with it, he gets crated.

Last and probably most effective, I've started on the NILIF with Odin. Nothing in life is free. He has to do something for everything that he wants. If he wants out, he has to sit, if he wants his food, he has to down/stay first, if he wants me to throw the ball he has to sit, etc. and so on. The minute I start doing this with him, he calms right down--or goes in the crate for 10 minutes. The nicest thing about this is that you can work on training throughout the day.

Good luck...sounds like you have a pretty normal puppy!
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Hope this helps

I have a five month German Shepherd and around 3 1/2 months she became very disobedient biting (she started teething), peeing in the house and just not obeying me. So, I started taking her to a trainer who specialized in GSD. In the two months she has be going, she is doing great. Tips I can give, is get a trainer. Never yell at your puppy they don't understand what it means. He might be afraid of your yelling or think your playing around and bite you more. Be very firm with him, if he dose something bad don't get angry because it won't help, gently pull him by his neck like a mother dog would do, and sit him down and say "no." With my GSD when she bit me I firmly, not to hurt her, pushed her on her side and said "no." Since I started doing this she no longer bites me. Since he is still peeing in the house it could be a dominance issue starting which could be bad if it exulted. You should let him get out his energy by walking him twice a day for at the least 30 minutes, then come home and train him when he is less energized. Practice and patience is key. These are things that have helped me has a first time GSD owner. I hope this helps.
-Mari
CleoPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Lol. Yes, im yelling on here to get an attention. Sorry about my CAPS. I bought him lots of toys from squealing rubber pig, squeaky balls (which his favorite), tugging toy etc. I can't help to yell on him when he bites and jump on me.(i've got scratches all over my back, arms and legs) If i can't take him outside (because the cold will freeze you to death nowadays and i can't take my baby outside),i make sure he can play ball fetching and tugging, glad we have a spacious house that he can run to. I feel bad he chewed on the walls and our wood flooring are bubbled up already. This would cost us a lot of money. We are attending an obedience class this week. Hopefully, there would be a lot of improvement. If not, my husband will send him away to a friend with a farm. But i've already attached with Ryker. And thinking that he will be our daughter's protector and bestfriend in the near future....
charliyewchyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliyewchyn View Post
Lol. Yes, im yelling on here to get an attention. Sorry about my CAPS. I bought him lots of toys from squealing rubber pig, squeaky balls (which his favorite), tugging toy etc. I can't help to yell on him when he bites and jump on me.(i've got scratches all over my back, arms and legs) If i can't take him outside (because the cold will freeze you to death nowadays and i can't take my baby outside),i make sure he can play ball fetching and tugging, glad we have a spacious house that he can run to. I feel bad he chewed on the walls and our wood flooring are bubbled up already. This would cost us a lot of money. We are attending an obedience class this week. Hopefully, there would be a lot of improvement. If not, my husband will send him away to a friend with a farm. But i've already attached with Ryker. And thinking that he will be our daughter's protector and bestfriend in the near future....
What have you done for training classes? Training is the key. If he's not obeying, he doesn't know what you're asking... and he doesn't know why he should bother. Mental exercise is key. Physical exercise is great, but if that's all there is, well... you're just building up their stamina to be rude.

Look up NILIF (Nothing in Life is Free)... it helps you adapt your lifestyle so that teaching manners is part of it.

Many of us here live in very cold climates, and we just suck it up and take our dogs outside still- even if it's just for a little bit. Unless you're way, way up in the great white north, take him outside.

Pads are extremely counter-productive to potty training. He needs to be crated and brought out at regular intervals... until it's down pat, no unsupervised time in the house.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 04:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Well, let me say that I live where it's pretty cold and Odin stays out daily unless it's below 0 degrees F when he's crated until I get home at lunch to let him out.

He loves the snow and has a nice big yard to play in but still needs the heavy one-on-one play time. And we start obedience tomorrow so that'll be fun too.

Have you crate trained? I know I asked in a previous post, but you haven't answered...crate training is the BEST to be sure that not only is puppy safe, but so is all your stuff when you can't keep an eye on him.

My best advice is wear him out....work him hard and daily!
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Hi there, how old is Ryker? From the pics in the gallery, at least a few months old? No reason why you can't take him out for short 10-15 minute play sessions or longer. An no whinning about the cold!!! I'm the last person on this board to complain about cold weather to, LOL!

A tired pup is a good pup! He won't learn to go outside if you don't take him out. He'll love running around outside, playing fetch, digging in the snow. So unless you live in the Yukon or the NWTs or Nunavut, or Northern Quebec, I'm a bit lost as to why he is being completely house-bound.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Puppies do eat up crate pads! I bought cheap all cotton bathmatts without any backing because I wanted them to be easy on the puppy and easy on my pocketbook.
My current puppy is the toughest one yet to house train. I think we have finally got it. I put a bell on the door, when she exits the crate, she goes outside (she knows to urinate on command because I named the activity when it happened & praised it like she just selected the winning lottery number), if she doesn't finish everything out there, when she comes inside she is crated again. She is fed in her crate, let out for water, let outside to eliminate. When she plays inside, she goes outside (is taken outside) when that stops. Until this past week or two, if I didn't do that, she found a spot...
Fortunately Ms. Bitey is very food driven. She thinks her kibble is wonderful enough to call it a high value treat. She initially got a treat when she sat (I named the activity and praised it, too). Then I introduced "focus" - she had to look at me after she sat but before she got the treat & praise. She still jumps - not as bad but she still jumps. She mouths my hand, she snaps with a leap. I just need to direct this behavior. She also counter surfs - a new one for me.
Puppies are wonderful but they are also a first rate PIA! I think most of us with puppies have moments when we ask our selves just what the heck we were thinking when we decided to do this.
BTW this is dog # 10, puppy # 5 for me. I feel your pain...
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.