German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   I need help with trooper!!! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/412746-i-need-help-trooper.html)

TruckerCouple524 02-18-2014 10:19 AM

I need help with trooper!!!

Ok this is my first German Shepard puppy but my husbands third. He is an over the road truck driver and Trooper we have had since he was 6 weeks old and he is now 5 months old and he has some behaviors that I need some advice on how to handle. For the first month we had trooper together for a while then I got a job at home and my husband took Trooper with him for a month before he got a new position with his job now Trooper is here with me. So here is the behaviors I am having troubles with, Trooper acts like he has separation anxiety, when i leave for work I put him in the outside fenced in area that is next to the house, when I get home I go to let him out and he starts jumping on me, I have tried to ignore him and then he started running full force at me then jumping and biting at my shirts putting holes in my clothes pants shirts i am honestly surprised that he hasn't torn my work shirt up. It just seems to get worse and worse and I don't know what to do and he also has this problem (take note he hasn't been neutered) he won't do this anywhere else in the house just in the kitchen he literally walks and pees a perimeter around my kitchen. I have tried the rub the nose in it trick I take him out all of the time he has no problem letting me know when he has to go to the bathroom but yet he still does this, Is he marking or just being a butt. Any advice I am open to please oh please help I just don't know what else to do.

nikon22shooter 02-18-2014 10:28 AM

As for the running at you.

Have you trained him? Obedience. Does he listen to you? Sit, down, stay.

Maybe you should take a ball with you to work and leave it in your car. So when you come home you can make him Sit in front of you and then throw him the ball. I do this every day with my 3 dogs. They get so excited when I come home, so imagine 2 full grown GSD running at you full speed haha. I get them excited to chase a frisbee and they no longer jump on me. They wait for that frisbee every day when I get off work and sit at the door and wait.

As for peeing.
I'll let someone else handle potty training. I don't believe in rubbing their noses in it. But I firm "No!" and picking them up by the scruff or if he's too big then shoo him out the door and mark with a potty command.

3dognite 02-18-2014 10:36 AM

The only thing that worked for my old GSD Rebel and his jumping was to cross my arms and turn sharply away from him. He didn't nibble at my clothes though (except as a short baby) so not sure what to tell you on that. I would second the PP though and say it's past time (if you haven't begun already) to work on "sit, Down, STAY" with him.

Mine is 5 and 1/2 months and does the jumping thing (not on me, I started with the arms-crossed-turn-away right away--he does like to jump on the teenagers who thought my method was "mean"). Distraction works with Odin. A ball or squeaky toy in my hand and he backs right up to prepare to chase.

I don't think what you're dealing with is separation anxiety so much as simple excitement that you are home. If he had separation anxiety, I'm guessing you'd have destroyed things in the yard, holes dug, etc. when you got home, not just a super excited pup. Maybe a leash and quick walk or a fast game of chase-the-ball would work instead of just letting him right in the house.

The peeing only in the kitchen...not sure what to tell you but I'm sure others will chime in. But overall it sounds like maybe he's not getting enough exercise. The old saying "a tired puppy is a good puppy" is very very true with these pups.

TruckerCouple524 02-18-2014 11:15 AM

Yes he is trained for obedience. He knows sit stay etc. but thank you for the advice I will try both methods and see what works best. Like I said about the peeing I was curious about how to go about it. He doesn't jump on my husband like that when he is home its just me.

3dognite 02-18-2014 11:19 AM

Your husband has probably somehow instinctively set boundaries about the jumping thing, similar to my old dog Rebel. He didn't jump on me, but he did on the rest of the family until they took direct action.

Mainly at this age, it's trying to stay one jump ahead of where their little minds are....trying to figure out WHY they're doing what they're doing and think creatively about stopping it. Rubbing noses in pee and poop never worked well for my parents when they were raising dogs--though they insisted on doing it anyway. Perhaps gating him out of the kitchen for the time being? unless you are in there with him? Teach him that's an area that is YOURS not HIS.

TruckerCouple524 02-18-2014 11:34 AM

Ok I will have to try that. Your probably very right about the instinctive thing. Like I said this is my first GSD and he's been different training and working with him than dogs I personally have owned in the past he picked up on the house training faster than other dogs and like I said that is the only place in the whole house that he "marks" or pees.

Blanketback 02-18-2014 11:48 AM

Do what I do - don't greet your pup in your work clothes, lol! I always change first, no matter what. He can wait a few more minutes, it's good for him to not make a huge production about it anyway. Others gave you good advice, and keeping him out of the kitchen solves the pee problem. Did he do that right in front of you?

TruckerCouple524 02-18-2014 11:55 AM

He has only done it in front of me once. Any other time I will either be in the shower or the laundry room and he has done it. Like I said its just weird its not like he stands still or hikes his leg and when I watched him do it he literally walks from the the refrigerator all the way around past his food back to the fridge with pee. So I don't know if its marking or what it seemed weird to me because ive never had a male dog do that before

Blanketback 02-18-2014 12:19 PM

Have you mentioned it to the vet? That's the only time I've ever had issues with my cats or dogs peeing where they shouldn't. I suppose he could be marking, but I'd want to rule out a medical problem first.

TruckerCouple524 02-18-2014 01:11 PM

He has a vet appt coming up next week I will bring it up and see what he says. I didn't even think it could have been a medical issue.