Suddenly cool with the crate - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2014, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Suddenly cool with the crate

Not sure what exactly happened, and it is a good thing but I don't know if anyone else ever experienced anything like this before lol.

Outside of the first night when Doyle got home (and had a very overwhelming day) he has yet to let me sleep through a night. He usually wakes me up about once if not more than that a night. I am not sure if its because he legitimately has to go potty or if he is thirsty. He had a little bout of diarrhea that turned out to be roundworms and giardia. But he got over that fairly quickly lol.

Even if he has no issues going into crates, and I feed him in one out in the living room, he tends to whine, paw and carry on in the one out in our living room (which is basically a kennel). Unless he is really worn out, but even then he usually protests for awhile before he settles down.

Today we went for a walk/play at a park downtown that allows dogs to be off leash to keep down the level of geese in the area between November and March. We've done this a few times now. It's a short walk, lots of playing off leash, sometimes a little cooling off at the river (there's a river that runs through town) and then the walk back to the car.

He is fine in the crate in the car. It doesn't bother him to go in there, though I am sure he'd rather ride loose (don't trust him just yet loose). In the bedroom he will fuss a little in the crate, but not super bad.

He gets time out in the room with my other dogs and me every night. If I am home during the day we spend a few hours here and there just relaxing and playing with things. Right now my golden and Doyle are playing. They've been doing this wrestling/biteyface/toy tug game for the last few days lol. Myles is great with puppies, and it seems like he really has accepted that Doyle is our puppy now. Leia, my older shepherd, ignores the boys and chews her squeaky cuz or yells at the cats to keep them from the bedroom (I have a babygate up to keep my dogs in, other dogs out, etc).

Today after everything, I let them pee in the front yard before coming in (every time he has activity then crate, he always has to pee) and we all settled into the bedroom. They played a little biteyface on the bed right behind me (I somehow always end up close by in these games) and then stretched out for a nap. I had the chance to just stretch out with them also, and Doyle slept pressed completely up against the side of me, though he slowly kept edging toward falling off of the bed lol.

We napped for a bit, I put the boys out, made dinner and it was a big shock not to hear anything. When I looked into the living room he was just laying down in the crate, calmly looking up at me. It was like this sudden breakthrough lol. He's about 6 months old now. It was just kind of like someone flicked a switch lol!

Just not sure if anyone else has experienced anything like that before.
Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 11:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

sounds like he wasn't resisting the crate that much.
you could teach him "go to your crate", "go to your bed".
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 11:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

He isn't resisting. Getting him in is actually easy. I just say kennel and he will go into the one that he is fed in. It's just when the door is closed and he can't get out that he starts to fuss about it. He lived with his brother up until coming to live with me, so I figured it was not having another dog with him, because in a kennel at my work if Myles is with him, he just sleeps the day away without a care in the world. He won't even leave it if the door opens! A coworker showed that to me one day because they were amazed that even with the door wide open, Doyle was just laying there, calmly observing everything around him.

It was just such a sudden departure from yelling about things that surprised me lol. Guess that is good if it continues right?
Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.