German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Puppy "play" fighting (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/409154-puppy-play-fighting.html)

hannahc_11 02-10-2014 07:20 AM

Puppy "play" fighting

My puppy and my other dog, who is a smaller dog at 1 year and 13lbs, like to rough house and play often. My concern is the vet tech told me not to get too involved and break them up because thats what puppies do, but should I let them do this all the time? Its usually ok and they dont get too crazy but it can lead into what looks like a full on growling fight. I think its fine and its just play but I dont want to set up any bad behavior for the puppy in later years when hes a lot bigger.
Also he was taken away from mom at about 5 weeks and abandoned so I was letting it go thinking Lucy( small dog) was helping teach him bite inhibition.

I know puppies play but is there a point where its too rough?
Im trying really hard not to turn him into a future monster :D

Galathiel 02-10-2014 11:17 AM

My small dog (about the size of yours) hates my dog and always has. I think you can tell if it escalates. I would step in if it seems like one of them is trying to stop it or get away and the other continues. Also, be sure that they have time away from each other. They each need to spend quality time with you by themselves, both for training and for bonding.

DJEtzel 02-10-2014 11:37 AM

They will likely be fine. The small dog may start correcting the puppy. It IS good for bite inhibition, but I do not let my dogs play much- I want to be more important to them than each other. :)

Msmaria 02-10-2014 12:54 PM

I always stepped in when it looked like one dog was not enjoyng himself. One dog should never be on top for too long, they should take turns, or if you see one dog trying to hide from the other. My female shih tzu didt care for GSD puppy to play with her at all, so I didnt let him bother her. My maltipoo and GSD would play and if it got to rough I stepped in. Now that the GSD is one year old he plays very gently with the maltipoo. He still doesnt play with the shih tzu. Like the poster said below, my dogs prefer me to play with them.

hannahc_11 02-10-2014 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJEtzel (Post 4997330)
They will likely be fine. The small dog may start correcting the puppy. It IS good for bite inhibition, but I do not let my dogs play much- I want to be more important to them than each other. :)

Thanks for the advice! Im doing my research but there is just so much to learn that you cant do it all at once : )

Harry and Lola 02-10-2014 06:34 PM

Yes just keep an eye on the play, with GSDs the play can very quickly go from fun to a telling off. I would allow them to play for short periods of time and keep an eye on your little dog, if he at any time displays any fear at the play then step in and distract your GSD pup, use either a toy or just start some simple OB commands and reward.

I have always had GSDs so am used to their play, the thing I would be concerned about is when puppy grows and still wants to rough house with the little dog and not reduce his intensity to compensate for his size and power.