German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Excessive biting and barking (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/405522-excessive-biting-barking.html)

Coraliine 02-02-2014 01:23 PM

Excessive biting and barking

Juice is about 11 weeks now and is absolutely abhorrent when it comes to biting and barking. He'll get in these wicked "I need to play now" moods and if you ignore him he starts to bite at you. If you put him somewhere he can't bite you, he barks. If you try to correct his biting with a "No." he ignores it and continues with the biting. Pushing him down, holding his mouth closed, or any sort of "rough" handling he views as play and just tries to bite more or starts barking like a lunatic.

We take him on numerous (5+) walks a day for 10-15 minutes (any longer and he gets tired and just sits).

We will just ignore him when he starts barking at us, but then the cycle begins again and he'll start to bite us or things he knows he isn't supposed to bite (blankets, furniture, etc.). We put him in his crate when he gets too crazy, but once he settles down and comes out he's back where he was.

Does anyone have any advice? We're going to start puppy classes soon, but he isn't fully vaccinated yet. I feel like everything we're trying he just views as play.

His biting has gotten so bad he has made my boyfriend and I bleed numerous times on our faces, hands, and legs.

Liz&Anna 02-02-2014 04:18 PM

Haha!!! Sounds like my girl! I found out real quick not to touch her- no force at all, it only encouraged biting if she took my hand in her much I wouldn't even pull it back- because she saw that as play also, instead I was still and very calm even though it hurt, the second she took her mouth off me I would give her a toy and play. My advice would be to get a flirt pole, or a longer toy to keep your fingers safe. You've got your hands full that's for sure.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

helensdisturbed 02-02-2014 04:49 PM

They will get past this stage soon, please don't think it will be forever, it will get better. You need toys, patience and plasters! . Our girl was a brat but this was the teething stage, hence the biting but a squirty water bottle did the trick, she only needs to see the bottle now and behaves.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

wyoung2153 02-02-2014 05:03 PM

introducing.... The Land Shark!!!!! :p I would suggest any time he bites ANYTHING you don't want him to.. instantly replace with toy. It gets annoying at first.. you feel like he doesn't get it.. but consistency is the key. Bite>"no bite">replace with toy>Drops toy>Bite and repeat.. it will happen that way the first few times. Eventually he will get the idea he bites toys not other things and people.

wyoung2153 02-02-2014 05:04 PM

AND it will end eventually... doesn't last forever..

David Winners 02-02-2014 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz&Anna (Post 4952706)
Haha!!! Sounds like my girl! I found out real quick not to touch her- no force at all, it only encouraged biting if she took my hand in her much I wouldn't even pull it back- because she saw that as play also, instead I was still and very calm even though it hurt, the second she took her mouth off me I would give her a toy and play.

This!

David Taggart 02-02-2014 07:14 PM

Your puppy has itchy gums, and her teeth want to strengthen themselves by biting. Provide her with chewable toys and large raw beef bones she cannot swallow. Ignoring her is not good enough - you should cry loud every time, and provide her with a toy right after.

Curtis 02-02-2014 07:28 PM

You will miss this stage when it's gone.

My secret weapon was to keep a few bully sticks within reach around the house, even in my pocket!