German Shepherds Forum banner

Engagement Problems

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  OriginalWacky 
#1 ·
I have had my German Shepherd puppy for about 2 weeks now and I have a big problem holding his attention. He still doesn't respond to his name and when I want to train him he is very easily distracted. Also, on walks for the first week, I almost didn't need a leash because he followed me everywhere outside. Recently, however, he started wondering off and would prefer to do anything but follow/listen to me. I've tried the use of treats but after the third one he loses interest in them. I was wondering if there were any techniques to help with this. he gets vaccinated Wednesday in which he and myself will be enrolled in obedience and manners class. Any suggestions of what I could do?

#2 ·
On short walks, try changing directions quite often. Taking a dog for a predictable walk becomes exactly that...predictable. Do some 180's and when the dog doesn't follow, a gentle nudge on the leash to change his course will solidify your wishes. Do circles, do 90 degree turns, do all kinds of course changes....yes your neighbors might look at you odd...but who cares. This is just one of many exercises you can employ.

If my memory serves properly, there is a member in this group whose screen name is DJEtzel. I watched a short video of her working with her pup and she knows her "stuff" much more than I most likely ever will when it comes to training. I know there are many others as well but that name comes to mind first. Maybe you could solicit her for some advice, I'd bet you would get great advice.

SuperG

#7 ·
Then train for 45 seconds - now is puppy goofy time. It's like a 6 month old baby. Hard to engage them for very long if there are other things to look. So set yourself up for success by doing truly tiny things in those brief times. I also would bet your minute is longer - I would use a timer. Get a clicker. Teach 1 thing. End on a high note with the puppy ready to do more. You can do that 10 times a day, slowly extending the time out. Doing fun things, using a high, happy voice, and big yay parties along with the food helps. :) I look like a total wackadoo with a puppy or a toddler!

#8 ·
I would say that a minute of engagement is fine for 10 week old. You are not going to get sustained engagement in training for several more months... like 4 more months or so. Play play play with him so you become the fun distraction. 1 minute training and then increase it slowly but more time just playing. And walks can be a challenge but it will all improve. Don't push the puppy to hard to be perfectly obedient.

#9 ·
Thank you all. I actually started introducing the clicker today and he took to it pretty well. I understand that he's a puppy and we play as much as he has energy to do so. I was just a bit stressed that I might miss the prime training days for dogs because I really want my GSD to be as well trained as a service dog.

#10 ·
10 weeks......hmmmmm....wouldn't get all too concerned about leashes and walks....I thought the dog was older.

Getting the pup used to a collar and a leash might not be the worst thing but not a priority....and not necessarily by walking the dog around the neighborhood.

SuperG

#11 ·
No judgments...just advisory....please be careful walking a 10 week old puppy off your own property. There have been several members that have had their pups get parvo recently. A 10 week old pup is mostly likely not immune to parvovirus yet. It is a deadly virus. Should your pup get exposed and get the virus it will be a very expensive event; both financially and emotionally.

That said, you can collar and leash train by tethering you pup to you as you move around the house. This serves many purposes. It helps your pup to learn the leash and loose leash walking. It helps build the bond with you and your pup as it is always with you. And, last but certainly not least, keeps your pup out of trouble.

Best of luck to you and please post pics of your cutie...we love pictures ;)

#15 ·
One thing to think about is that in these early weeks you want to socialize him to different environments. Some believe that there are "windows" for socialization. But his training window is huge... like 2 years wide or so. While I know some people can do amazing things early on, my experience is that dogs really start being able to learn well at 6 months or so. Not that they can't learn earlier but that they are goofballs and have short attention spans earlier.

You will be fine, relax and enjoy it. Take a class too.

#22 ·
I would definitely look at changing the treats you are using. At this age you must have High value treats for the pup.. if you havne't already, try Natural Balance food rolls cut up into tiny pieces and you can freeze it until you're ready to use them.. we call it doggy crack. My not food motivated boy will do literally ANYTHING for it. It's the only treat I found that he would actually pay attention to.

Also consider that he may not be food motivated.. if he wants to play all the time, try using a tug or ball as a reward for commands. AND don't repeat commands.. your puppy will get used to the repetitive command and start waiting until you finish your repititions, lol.. Just like DoggieDad said essentially you are yeah "hugo, Hugo, Hugo" treat.. one command.. then wait.

#23 ·
#24 ·
Thanks for the advice. I found some beef chewy treats that he goes crazy for and now training is a ton of fun for both of us. I keep them to about 15 treat training sessions 3 times a day. Now that they are fun and show progression, I'm thinking about making them longer or having more sessions a day. Should it be more or less? Sorry I am being annoying about this, but I really would appreciate your feedback.

#25 ·
You can do as many as you want a day.. but keep them short, 3-5 min. We used commercials sometimes. We'd be watching a show, then during commercial we trained some. Then went back to watching the show, and repeat :) Glad you found a good treat! Sometimes that's all it takes. Also if he starts getting bored, make sure you always end on a high note, so make him do something SUPER easy and end on that good feeling!

#26 ·
Something I've found to be helpful is to stop training while the puppy still wants to train, so he's always left wanting MORE. I basically think of every interaction with my dog as a chance to bond and add to training, so it's an ongoing thing. I think it's also good to have a day here and there were you don't really do much training at all, so you can let him 'think about' what he's learned, give his little brain a bit of rest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.