German Shepherds Forum banner

Nerve Issue? (afraid of loud sounds)

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MaggieRoseLee 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Morning,

My neighbor has a lovely GSD she got for her bday a year ago. He is really good with people and/or dogs. But, when it comes to objects and loud sounds he seems to get scared.

For example, last night we were walking our dogs and a loud motorcycle passed by and the sound scared. He walked back or to the side and tries to get as far as possible. Also, when you put an object in front of him he tries to avoid it as well. She told me the dog trainer she goes with told her there is nothing she can do to get rid of that. Is that true?

I would say he has confidence issues, but then again he looks like a confident dog when around people and dogs. So I don't know.

Is there anything she can do to help him out? Any comments/suggestions will help out.

Thanks.

P.S. little background on the dog he came from a backyard breeder and according to her he has not had any bad experience with anything so far...

See less See more
#2 ·
You can definitely help with issues like this. How many dog classes and what training has she attended to be proactive with this. Not a sudden problem, right? But one she's noticed and been working on proactively?

Has she been clicker training? HUGE help to desensitize and start linking up GOOD things (treats) with scary things (noise) so the dogs start to think of loud noises as meaning LIVER, CHEESE, ROAST BEEF and that's not scary at all :)

http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...0-intro-clicker-training-perfect-puppies.html

How to Help Your Fearful Dog: Become the Crazy Dog Lady | Karen Pryor Clicker Training

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.