Puppy Crate Accidents Suddenly? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2014, 12:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy Crate Accidents Suddenly?

Hey,
I have a 13 week old female GSD. I've had her since 7 weeks old, and up until this past week, she had only ever had one accident in her crate. But now, she's had 3 really bad ones in a row, and I don't know what has changed.

• I take her water 2 hours before bed.
  • She gets let outside immediately before getting in the crate, always.
  • She's in there about 8 hours, same amount of time as it's been every night since we got her.
  • Crate is right size, she doesn't have too much room.
  • She doesn't have a bladder infection, according to vet.

It's always right in front of the door, too, where she generally lays that the huge pee puddle is found the last few mornings. This is NOT like her. I would think with age that she'd be able to hold it more, not less. Even at 7 weeks old she was keeping a dry kennel, with exception of a little excited pee when we'd open the door to get her out.
frostwolf7294 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 05:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to robeangyalchen

I never took the water away, if crated his bowl was inside the crate.
In my experience, puppy never wants to poop or pee in the crate, or in the place he sleeps unless it's too hard for him to keep it. Maybe taking him potty between the night, if possible? For me, still it's 4 hours at max to keep him without potty break or him alone in the house ( mine is not crated, not leashed)

Mine whined when needed to go potty, he never pooped inside the house even when he had worms and diarrhea.

I bought a small crate and there was not much room so he wouldn't pee or poop. He outgrew the crate when he was almost 4 months so it was a relatively small crate.

I know, i didn't answer your question, but honestly i think you need to take him potty frequently rather than taking his water away, JMHO.

ETA: potty train, buying a crate with a tray below.

Tyson GSD 09 JUNE 2013
Rusty BOXER 12 Jan 2009 to 25 Oct 2012

Last edited by robeangyalchen; 01-30-2014 at 05:13 AM.
robeangyalchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 10:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I'd just back off the training for a bit by setting my alarm for 2 am (or whatever is midway through your night) and quickly take her out for a pee then back to bed for the rest of the night.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have a 14 week old and he's still going out at night, sometimes twice. He whines and I let him out. So far the longest he's held it was 6.5 hours. He also sometimes has pee accidents in his crate during the day. I don't sweat it. When I'm home, I let him out frequently and he knows to go outside. It's not like he wants to pee inside but I do work full time and even with someone letting him out mid-day, I can't guarantee he will pee outside for her or won't have to go again in the next 3-5 hours. He uses a 36" crate during the day with towels so if he has to go, he tends to go in the back corner and I just wash dog towels throughout the week. Other than the first few days home (when he had worms), he's never had a poo accident in the house. We use smaller crates for travel and while we're at training and tournaments but if he's in a crate longer than 2-3 hours at a time, I actually prefer a larger one so if he has to go, he can make a point of going in the back corner and not having to sit in it.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Last edited by Liesje; 01-30-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.