My puppy eats rocks/stones ... whats wrong? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2014, 04:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question My puppy eats rocks/stones ... whats wrong?

Hi everyone...
Jarvis is 13 weeks old, but does not matter how old he is, he likes stones from his first days. I dont know what does it mean, but it is not normal in my opinion. Does not matter if he is hungry or few minutes after food, he goes outside and take every small stone what lies in ground and eat.
Now he is at home and eating stones only when he is outside during walk, but wonder why he is doing that. Our vet said its because his taste cells (palate) on the tongue are not really growth (sry for my english, cant find better word). Someone said it is because he needs to sharp his teeth. But... i am afraid because he eats stones and he cant sleep in night because of stomachache and sometimes there is also vomit process :/

can i somehow force him to stop do that? or i need to wait till he understand its not ok and tasty ? thanks

Last edited by dvdk; 01-28-2014 at 04:23 AM.
dvdk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 05:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Puppy eating stones

Check out this thread I started when I got my puppy. Like yours she would eat small stones. To stop this behaviour I taught her drop and after a lot of practise she finally stopped eating the stones.
Xena9012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 06:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to robeangyalchen
Default In my experience with Tyson.

Mind did the same until he was almost 4 months, i had to rearrange the flower pots and cover the garden mud/soil with bricks temporarily. I taught him to drop it, but since i am as new to training as my new Puppy it took me lot longer. BUt before mastering Drop it, he stopped eating small pebbles and soil.

So, keep an eye on him so he cannot eat it, if he eats it remove it or teach him to drop it. I don't know if it was a puppy behavior or something else but he stopped eating it at almost 4 months old. Your might stop as well if given time and if taught not to eat.

Tyson GSD 09 JUNE 2013
Rusty BOXER 12 Jan 2009 to 25 Oct 2012
robeangyalchen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 06:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Rocco did this too. It was a big problem for us. One time he even threw up a whole rock (thank god he threw it up). He had to be supervised closely when outside (even just walking him). He grew out of, but occasionally will pick one up to chew. Be very careful because if he swallows a rock, his stomach will not be able to digest it. It could be a surgery/life or death situation. I was baffled by it too, but apparently it's normal for puppies.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 06:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Mine did the same thing. 100% supervision around rocks and a lot of fingers in his mouth. They are crazy at that age.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

We had puppy Pica! it was awful and it was very hard to keep the puppy safe. I had to follow him like a hawk and teach leave it and treat.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think it is pretty common with puppies. They like to explore with their mouth and mine would pick of EVERYTHING outside. I hovered over him the whole time we were outside, taking things out of his mouth and trying to interest him I things he could safely chew. He grew out of it eventually.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Puppies dont have hands to pick things up and feel them, so they explore new things with their mouths!!

Just watch him carefully, teach the pup "leave it" and "out", and trade the rock for a treat or something else fun when he obeys. Once your pup realizes that all rocks feel pretty much the same, he'll probably not be as interested in them. Until then, keep and eye on him so he doesn't hurt himself. If something goes in his mouth that might be dangerous, by all means don't be afraid to stick your hand in there and get it out!!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiros View Post
Puppies dont have hands to pick things up and feel them, so they explore new things with their mouths!!

Just watch him carefully, teach the pup "leave it" and "out", and trade the rock for a treat or something else fun when he obeys. Once your pup realizes that all rocks feel pretty much the same, he'll probably not be as interested in them. Until then, keep and eye on him so he doesn't hurt himself. If something goes in his mouth that might be dangerous, by all means don't be afraid to stick your hand in there and get it out!!
Rocks can be dangerous... This was removed from Tasha's stomach at age 7

shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

If it is so bad that you're having a hard time even when you're supervising, might not hurt to use a basket muzzle for being off leash in the yard until he grows out of it. May seem extreme, but I can't tell you how many rocks we pull out of puppies and young adult dogs in an emergency surgery situation! Can be very life-threatening if they don't pass. Obviously also teaching a strong OUT and LEAVE IT will be your best friend too.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.