German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Weaning puppy off crate (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/401194-weaning-puppy-off-crate.html)

Tim&Marth 01-24-2014 05:03 PM

Weaning puppy off crate

Need some opinions on whether it's too early. Olivia is just about 10 months. She is crated during the day with me coming home each day at lunch to take her out. We have been trying to leave her out of the crate on occasions as she has let go of most of her destructive tendencies. Today, she fell back into her old ways and destroyed something in the house. Is it too soon for us to begin trusting her or something she will need more to time grow out of?

Mary Beth 01-24-2014 09:19 PM

Since she relapsed today and destroyed something, it does seem like she isn't ready yet to be left alone loose inside the house. What you may want to do, is to restrict her to one room - put her crate in there with the door open, her food and water bowls, and leave chew toys, remove anything she could damage.

Lucy Dog 01-24-2014 09:22 PM

Why does she need to be out of her crate? If she's doing fine in there while you guys are gone, why fix something that isn't broke?

wyoung2153 01-24-2014 10:25 PM

Well I would say, don't lose hope yet. What I did for Titan was when he was about 6 months and I thought the time was right to leave him for a while out of his crate. I bought a gate and gated him off in an area that was secluded from things he could destroy. For me this was our entry way. I gated off the entrance to the living room which left him 2 options... the tiled entry way or upstairs which when the doors were shut was just a hallway. Neither locations had anything to destroy in it. I moved his crate in the entry room behind the stairs so he still had "his" place. He didn't swallow parts of chews.. ever so I left him a couple and set out. he had one day that I was gone longer and he decided the stairs didn't look quite right.. and "fixed" them for me. He went back in his crate for another month while I was gone and then we started again. He has been out ever since. He still, at 4 years old, can't have full access to all the rooms in the house. If my room is open he'll get into my laundry and take my undies (gross) and if the bathrooms are open.. he goes through the trash. BUT if those are closed.. he's an angel. :) so just trial and error.

Also, keep in the back of your mind if none of what you try works.. you may never be able to leave her out of the crate. She could be one of those dogs that just gets crated because she's so curious and it's ok if she is that way.

doggiedad 01-25-2014 12:45 AM

since she just destroyed something in the house, no,
she's not ready to be out of the crate. what kind
of crate training are you doing? forget about growing out
of destroying the house. train her so she doesn't destroy the house.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim&Marth (Post 4898418)
Need some opinions on whether it's too early. Olivia is just about 10 months. She is crated during the day with me coming home each day at lunch to take her out. We have been trying to leave her out of the crate on occasions as she has let go of most of her destructive tendencies. Today, she fell back into her old ways and destroyed something in the house. Is it too soon for us to begin trusting her or something she will need more to time grow out of?

MichaelE 01-25-2014 09:51 AM

It is difficult to teach a dog something he or she should not be doing when you're not around. Lisl is a perfect dog in the house when I'm home. She never gets into anything. She brings toys to me if she wants to play inside or out.

Lisl was escaping from her crate at around 6-7 months. The first time or two she did wonderfully. No potty anywhere and didn't get into anything. The third time she got ahold of a stack of aviation charts and I had a new carpet covering when I arrived home. It looked like a ticker tape parade went through my living room.

I let her out by herself a few months later, and again no potty anywhere (I consider her 110% potty trained), but this time she went upstairs and destroyed a pillow from my bed, and snagged some tissues out of the trash can. Not the whole can, just a few tissues off the top.

She has since still been confined to the crate when I'm at work since I cannot trust her. She has since learned to stay out of the trash, but I still can't trust her out of her crate.

I think the real reason is boredom and if she was outside she'd probably be digging the yard up. There are toys everywhere to keep her occupied, but without me being with her, she probably wonders if I'm ever coming back and finds something destructive to get into.

Some dogs take longer than others, and some can never be trusted when no one is home.

wolfstraum 01-25-2014 11:05 AM

my dogs are 10 years and 26 months. When I leave them home alone, they are crated. Period. Everyone and everything is safer. Front windows especially if dogs or people come in the yard.

Lee