4month old aggression? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 4month old aggression?

Luna's a lil over 4 months now .. this morning she some how got in the garbage and pulled out chicken bones ! she brought them all into her crate and pretty much started having a party !!!!
When we noticed she had bones my husband reached in and said "no Luna leave it and tried to get them away from her .. she went crazy had a fit started growling showing her teeth and got him twice !!!!! I felt so bad .. anyways I showed her the kong stuffed with peanut butter she left the bones went for the kong cleaned out the grate and then she was all happy with his again ..

my question is .. why that reaction ? are this signs of aggression ? or did he come at her the wrong way ?

just to mention this was the first time she ever got her mouth on bones we only do nylone (dog) bones and keep her away from all humane food

help ?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

were the bones in a trash can that sits on the floor? the bones
were high value. i think she needs some training. i think a person
should be able to take things from there dog at any time and it
doesn't matter what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri08 View Post

Luna's a lil over 4 months now ..

>>>>> this morning she some how got in the garbage and pulled out chicken bones ! <<<<<

she brought them all into her crate and pretty much started having a party !!!!
When we noticed she had bones my husband reached in and said "no Luna leave it and tried to get them away from her .. she went crazy had a fit started growling showing her teeth and got him twice !!!!! I felt so bad .. anyways I showed her the kong stuffed with peanut butter she left the bones went for the kong cleaned out the grate and then she was all happy with his again ..

my question is .. why that reaction ? are this signs of aggression ? or did he come at her the wrong way ?

just to mention this was the first time she ever got her mouth on bones we only do nylone (dog) bones and keep her away from all humane food

help ?

doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

yes she some how learned how to open it I guess .. I will have to find a new place for the garbage can .. she starts school in a week I will mention that to her teacher .

Old 01-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just make sure you're practicing taking things from her. I've always started my dogs at the youngest age possible so it doesn't happen. When you give her a bowl of food, randomly take it away and praise her when she doesn't react (and of course give it back ). I do that with food, bones, toys etc. Anyone (babies, friends, myself, etc) can take anything from my four year old female without a problem now. She understands that I decide when she can have something (and be fair about it lol!)

This could have just been a natural reaction. He did enter her space and full on take the best thing (to a dog) she's ever laid teeth on! A crate to a dog is like their "den". But yeah definitely mention it to her teacher, I'm not exactly sure how to desensitize the den area.

Mocha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's food aggression/ resource guarding. Very common, and when it's directed at humans, especially from a young age, it's easy to fix.

Some ideas-

- Hand feed meals.

- When you can't hand feed, feed in a crate, so that she knows there is no competition.

- Teach impulse control for eating - sits and waits for food until you release her. (Here is my puppy demonstrating)

- Make two bowls of her breakfast or dinner (same serving size, split in two) - add some yummy things to it like yogurt, oils, supplements, canned food - nothing extreme, just to spice it up a bit. Make her sit/wait for one, release her to it. Step away with the second, bend down and slide the second past her and just a little to the side. She'll likely go to that bowl. When she does, take the old bowl up. Repeat. (This is called a trading game- positive associations with you taking things!)

- Walk by her eating loose or in her crate and drop high value (think hotdogs or cheese!) food in her bowl or near her bowl as you pass. She learns "humans near my food bowl = awesome snacks!"

- When you need to take items from her in the house, offer her something else to trade for it. If she has a sock, offer her a chunk of hotdog for it. You don't want resources to ALWAYS be taken away with no reward for giving them up.

If she has something like this and she is cornered (in her crate - dogs are very territorial there!) then lure her out and try to distract, ask for something else first, like you did with the kong - perfect intuition! You traded her for what she had before in a safe manner, you just waited until after she displayed the inappropriate signals that she was uncomfortable first. Do this proactively next time an issue occurs.

Good luck!
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 12:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

thanks for the help !! I will start doing all those things .. I for sure don't want this behavior !!

Old 01-20-2014, 03:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

When it comes to safety I don't ask, I tell them and do it. If my kid was crossing a road I would not beg them back with a treat, and if I want to take something from a dog I don't beg for that either, I take it and give a command and they learn
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 03:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
Just make sure you're practicing taking things from her. I've always started my dogs at the youngest age possible so it doesn't happen. When you give her a bowl of food, randomly take it away and praise her when she doesn't react (and of course give it back ). I do that with food, bones, toys etc. Anyone (babies, friends, myself, etc) can take anything from my four year old female without a problem now. She understands that I decide when she can have something (and be fair about it lol!)

This could have just been a natural reaction. He did enter her space and full on take the best thing (to a dog) she's ever laid teeth on! A crate to a dog is like their "den". But yeah definitely mention it to her teacher, I'm not exactly sure how to desensitize the den area.

This can actually create resource guarding. IMHO, I would advise against this.

DJEtzel offered some really good advice.
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 04:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Welp, it's worked for four dogs for me now. I've always started it while they're 9-10 weeks old and have never had a problem.

Mocha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 04:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
Welp, it's worked for four dogs for me now. I've always started it while they're 9-10 weeks old and have never had a problem.

I wouldn't have disagreed with you if it weren't a situation that is potentially dangerous. I'm glad it has worked out for you. I'm simply trying to help others who may not have the same outcome from this type of training, not trying to be argumentative.

The following articles are written by, or based on protocols by:

Dr. Nicholas Dodman
Dr. Sophia Yin
Jean Donaldson

Treatment of Food Aggression in Dogs is About Finesse, Not Force | Animal Behavior and Medicine Blog | Dr. Sophia Yin, DVM, MS
Resource Guarding: Preventing It and Stopping It
http://www.4pawsu.com/Donaldson.pdf
The Dog Trainer : Resource Guarding ? What It Is, How to Prevent It :: Quick and Dirty Tips ?
Canine Resource Guarding Treatment Overview | Responsible Dog ~ It's all about dogs
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.