German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   UTI Maybe?? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/397505-uti-maybe.html)

Brandon_kelley 01-17-2014 02:08 PM

UTI Maybe??

So Dettmer is 10 weeks old now. Ive had him for almost 2 weeks and he has shown signs of progress in house breaking and then recently for the past couple of days I have gotten him out of the crate in the mornings with a soiled bed. He wakes me up everyday at 7 almost on the dot and doesnt make any other sounds all night so I never know if he needs to go in the night. What concerns me is that today he peed while he was laying down, he wasnt sleeping but he was on his side laying in the sun like he loves to do. He just sat there and peed and acted completely oblivious to it. I just scheduled him for a vet visit monday to check this out.

1) do you think this could be a UTI?
2) even if I dont hear him at night should I be waking up atleast once to wake him up and take him out potty?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

LaRen616 01-17-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon_kelley (Post 4851585)
He just sat there and peed and acted completely oblivious to it. I just scheduled him for a vet visit monday to check this out.

1) do you think this could be a UTI?
2) even if I dont hear him at night should I be waking up atleast once to wake him up and take him out potty?

My cat was laying on my bed next to me when she peed all over herself and she acted like nothing had happened, she did have a UTI.

If he doesn't have a UTI, then yes, I would take him out in the middle of the night for a potty break, I did that for all of my puppies.

Brandon_kelley 01-17-2014 05:18 PM

Thats what im thinking. Ive been looking some stuff up about the peeing in the crate situation and I should definitely take him out at night. But what was worrying me is the peeing while he is laying down. Anyways we will find out monday hopefully!

Gretchen 01-17-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaRen616 (Post 4851865)
My cat was laying on my bed next to me when she peed all over herself and she acted like nothing had happened, she did have a UTI.

If he doesn't have a UTI, then yes, I would take him out in the middle of the night for a potty break, I did that for all of my puppies.

We've had two cats that had this behavior also, one started acting uncomfortable the second day and began licking herself. Both had uti.

jang 01-17-2014 05:55 PM

Why do some pets, in my case my GSD, get so many UTI's? Seems like every couple of months she has another...I hope yours (OP) is feeling better soon...With Sib I have been giving her Proin, but I hate to get her started on something she may have to take forever...Good luck with yours...BTW...Sib licks herself only when she is leaking...