German Shepherds Forum banner

Advice needed. I'm being driven crazy

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  MichaelE 
#1 ·
Baron is four months and I'd say housebroken. He rings a bell to go outside. Problem is he now rings it like every five minutes sometimes. I just took him our five times in a half hour. My husband wants to ignore him saying he doesn't need to go he just wants to go play. I say we have to take him out because I don't want him to think we aren't going to get him. But it's driving me crazy!

Thoughts!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#8 ·
One of the things I did personally with bell training was buying a 50' lead from a Pet store. Finn went on it when he rang the bells. If he didn't go out and pee within 30 seconds, I called him and pulled him inside. He learned quickly the bells were for potty time only, not play time.

#10 ·
One of the things I did personally with bell training was buying a 50' lead from a Pet store. Finn went on it when he rang the bells. If he didn't go out and pee within 30 seconds, I called him and pulled him inside. He learned quickly the bells were for potty time only, not play time.

That was going to be my next suggestion. When I potty trained Titan, I toook him out on the lead and he didn't get to be off lead until he went potty, and not squated like he was going, but actually went. You may try that. Titan never really "asked" to go out. he literally just say by the door looking at the handle. I had to keep an eye on him constantly. Even now, he will just sit by the door. And he will do that if he wants to play too, that part never leaves. Also, do you have a command for going potty?

#9 ·
Another thing you might consider is removing the bell then replacing it after a suitable interval has elapsed. For example, pup rings bell. Goes outside and potties. Once back inside remove the bell for an hour or two then rehang it.

#11 ·
turn the tables on the dog . You control the bell . You know approximately when dog has to potty. You ring bell and cheerfully invite the dog outside. Potty , praise . Back in.
Time the bell so that it is further and further apart . two ringy dingy , one ringy dingy -- till it is not used anymore , and dog has conditioned himself to timing of your routine instead.

#14 ·
and if he does.. then just remember that you changed it up and it's a learning process for him again. Not a huge deal, he will catch on quick :) jusst be consistent in whatever you choose to do. If you keep it. You might try letting him out and if he doesn't potty, bringing him right back in. You may also try a different signal for going out to play. Whether it's a different bell or something just a different noise. When you take him potty, ring one bell and when you go out to play, ring another.

#15 ·
You still need to have a potty schedule and not just depend on the bell (with regard to the fear that he will go in the house). Unless there is a medical reason, you know your puppy and how often he will more than likely need to go out. You still need to keep on top of it. My pup is housebroken, but I still don't wait for him to ask to go out. I still have a routine of taking him out every 1-2 hours. Just for my peace of mind :)

#16 ·
Whether I let her out or not depends on how soon she had just been out. A lot of times now she'll just sit by the door or she'll pace. I may do away with the bells. This is the first dog I've ever used them on and now I'm wishing I hadn't. Luckily, my house is a ranch and I can usually see when she has to go out anyhow.

#17 ·
Baron is four months and I'd say housebroken. He rings a bell to go outside. Problem is he now rings it like every five minutes sometimes. I just took him our five times in a half hour. My husband wants to ignore him saying he doesn't need to go he just wants to go play. I say we have to take him out because I don't want him to think we aren't going to get him. But it's driving me crazy!

Thoughts!

And THAT is exactly why I never taught mine that! :rofl:

Be careful what you teach them! They are smarter than us!

#18 ·
When I've taught this in the past, I've also taught a potty command along with it. Then when they ring the bells it's ALWAYS out on the lead, and no play or fun until they potty. If they don't after two minutes or so, then it's back in the house with no fuss or anything. I make sure to take them out on lead at other times, and do a couple real quick obedience things, and then have playtime, so that playtime is when the bells were not rung. I'm not sure I'm explaining it really well, but essentially it's a matter of letting the dog know that 'faking' the need to potty wouldn't get them the chance to go out and play and have fun.

#19 ·
I taught Stahl to bark" when he has to go. He did the same thing as your dog" he would bark to go out when he didn't have to go! Yes they are very smart. The way I broke him is when he went to the potty" we played tug after" when he cried wolf" I would bring him back in and put him in the kennel. It didn't take but a few times" now no false alarms! Good luck this is one way that worked for me. They want to be with you" he learned quick! Bill:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.