German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Advice needed. I'm being driven crazy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/397041-advice-needed-im-being-driven-crazy.html)

lkcheertex 01-16-2014 03:49 PM

Advice needed. I'm being driven crazy

Baron is four months and I'd say housebroken. He rings a bell to go outside. Problem is he now rings it like every five minutes sometimes. I just took him our five times in a half hour. My husband wants to ignore him saying he doesn't need to go he just wants to go play. I say we have to take him out because I don't want him to think we aren't going to get him. But it's driving me crazy!

Thoughts!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

stmcfred 01-16-2014 03:52 PM

My 5 month old is doing the same thing! Drives me crazy.

lkcheertex 01-16-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stmcfred (Post 4845713)
My 5 month old is doing the same thing! Drives me crazy.

Do you keep taking him out or ignore and try to redirect?

wyoung2153 01-16-2014 03:55 PM

Personally,I have never trained the bell for that very reason. Have tried removing the bell and potty training her without it?

carmspack 01-16-2014 03:55 PM

hahaha - unintended consequences -- the dog has trained you .

lkcheertex 01-16-2014 03:56 PM

I have not. By without you mean just letting him whine at door or something? I'm assuming he would just whine to be let out rather than ring the bell and he'd do that every ten seconds too.

lkcheertex 01-16-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmspack (Post 4845753)
hahaha - unintended consequences -- the dog has trained you .

It's certainly beginning to feel like that.

Shaolin 01-16-2014 04:18 PM

One of the things I did personally with bell training was buying a 50' lead from a Pet store. Finn went on it when he rang the bells. If he didn't go out and pee within 30 seconds, I called him and pulled him inside. He learned quickly the bells were for potty time only, not play time.

Galathiel 01-16-2014 04:23 PM

Another thing you might consider is removing the bell then replacing it after a suitable interval has elapsed. For example, pup rings bell. Goes outside and potties. Once back inside remove the bell for an hour or two then rehang it.

wyoung2153 01-16-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin (Post 4845921)
One of the things I did personally with bell training was buying a 50' lead from a Pet store. Finn went on it when he rang the bells. If he didn't go out and pee within 30 seconds, I called him and pulled him inside. He learned quickly the bells were for potty time only, not play time.

That was going to be my next suggestion. When I potty trained Titan, I toook him out on the lead and he didn't get to be off lead until he went potty, and not squated like he was going, but actually went. You may try that. Titan never really "asked" to go out. he literally just say by the door looking at the handle. I had to keep an eye on him constantly. Even now, he will just sit by the door. And he will do that if he wants to play too, that part never leaves. Also, do you have a command for going potty?