German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Need help with the here command (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/394290-need-help-here-command.html)

vallamae 01-10-2014 09:49 PM

Need help with the here command

Every time I call,her she goes the other way. I practically have to chase her down. Also. How much time is too much for crate training and how long should I have her on leash will inside. Help please.

Eiros 01-10-2014 10:01 PM

How old is she? Playing chase is a big game for puppies, and it's tons of fun! So, things I've found to help are:

Speaking in an excited voice when calling her to come
Running in the direction you want her to go (from the back yard to the door, for example) and she might want to chase you!
Rewarding a good "come" with a treat, or more play

I also call my pup to me and then release him for more fun. A lot of times, "come" to a pup can signify "fun is over" and they resist. Try a few things to make obedience fun and motivating, and it should help. Call her, reward, then play more! Repeat a few times when you're outside with her.

Crating a puppy is ok as long as she gets plenty of exercise, training, and love when she's not crated. Very young puppies need to be let out every couple of hours for potty when they are crated for periods during the day and if crated at night. I try to avoid crating my dog often though, because he has too much energy, and boredom can lead to some very bad behaviors!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

vallamae 01-10-2014 10:09 PM

Thank you

I will try that. She is 13wks old and is sweet but it's almost like she doesn't want you to know it. I know that sounds crazy but if she sees me looking at her while laying beside me she moves away. It's a little strange.

wolfy dog 01-10-2014 10:12 PM

She may have a totally different idea what "Here" means than you. If you always call "Here!" when she walks away she has learned that that command means walking away. Go back to recall 101 and find another command for this behavior to make a fresh start.

Cassidy's Mom 01-10-2014 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallamae (Post 4811042)
Every time I call,her she goes the other way. I practically have to chase her down.

How have you tried to train it so far?

bill 01-10-2014 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eiros (Post 4811122)
How old is she? Playing chase is a big game for puppies, and it's tons of fun! So, things I've found to help are:

Speaking in an excited voice when calling her to come
Running in the direction you want her to go (from the back yard to the door, for example) and she might want to chase you!
Rewarding a good "come" with a treat, or more play

I also call my pup to me and then release him for more fun. A lot of times, "come" to a pup can signify "fun is over" and they resist. Try a few things to make obedience fun and motivating, and it should help. Call her, reward, then play more! Repeat a few times when you're outside with her.

Crating a puppy is ok as long as she gets plenty of exercise, training, and love when she's not crated. Very young puppies need to be let out every couple of hours for potty when they are crated for periods during the day and if crated at night. I try to avoid crating my dog often though, because he has too much energy, and boredom can lead to some very bad behaviors!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Good advice! Bill:)