Playing too rough. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2014, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Playing too rough.

I got a GSD puppy on X-mas eve, she is 13 weeks now and is great. She's learned "sit" perfectly and is working on shake. My real problem now is that she is too rough when trying to play with my older dogs. I have a 13 year old Cockapoo and Lhaso, I also have a 4 year old Shih Tzu. The 2 13 year olds are fine with her until she starts jumping on them and going nuts treating them like theyre puppies, I just don't want her to get hurt. She might be bigger but they're old and they know how to fight back. The shih tzu plays back roughly but I'm scared that the GSD will hit him in his big eyes with one of her rough paw swipes.

Last edited by liferebooted; 01-08-2014 at 11:18 PM.
liferebooted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 03:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

It's going to be up to you to work with her and teach her to respect the older dogs. If you catch it before it ramps up too much and settle her down, then the other dogs will likely enjoy time with her more. Many larger dogs learn how to play well with smaller ones, you just need to be supervising to make sure it doesn't go overboard. Does your pup back down when the older dogs get upset with her antics?
Old 01-09-2014, 04:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

When my puppy played too rough with smaller dogs while at socialization class (pawing, biting ears), the trainer asked us to give her a "time out" every time when caught in the act, meaning picking her up while saying "too bad"-stopping play for about 30seconds- then letting her go..she learned very fast, 10 consistent time outs at most..we later successfully used this technique to teach her not to bite us lol ahh those needle teeth ("too bad"-> crate for 30seconds-1minute).. Good luck!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Redberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 04:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Btw, u also need to correct any behavior of her older siblings that could do harm to her, growling, barking is fine, but not biting

Old 01-10-2014, 03:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redberry View Post
Btw, u also need to correct any behavior of her older siblings that could do harm to her, growling, barking is fine, but not biting

That can sort of depend on the older dogs, some of them can and should be allowed to discipline the puppy with teeth if needed. For example, I've had a couple of dogs that I would trust even with young puppies because they may lay teeth on them, but it was never harmful, just a discipline tool much like a momma dog or a sibling might use. Obviously, I still supervised, and tried to keep it from escalating that much, but these dogs had been tested so many times over with fosters and so on that I never had to worry much if I needed to go to the bathroom right quick and leave them out together. Otherwise, if I can't be paying attention to the dogs, they are separated so that nobody gets pushed too far.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

[QUOTE=OriginalWacky;4806498]That can sort of depend on the older dogs, some of them can and should be allowed to discipline the puppy with teeth if needed.

I 100% agree, my puppy LOVES other dogs and loves to bother them, i mean REALLY bother them and annoying, some have more, some less patience with her, and she learned to walk away precisely thanks to growls and snaps from them.. As long as u trust ur older dogs, they will eventually put ur puppy in her place and she will learn to respect the boundaries.. But blood can't be drawn during that process that's what I meant by correcting if u suspect there might be harm done

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.