German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Differentiating Barking (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/393186-differentiating-barking.html)

LinneK9 01-08-2014 12:26 PM

Differentiating Barking

My boy is pretty good about behaving indoors and even when he barks outside if I start to walk another way he will usually leave alone whatever he is barking at. The other night he met a friends 1 y.o. shepherd and thank goodness their dog was very patient and well behaved he barked and lunged at this dog for at least 30 mins straight. Once we let them get close enough he sniffed the other dogs and exchanged a few licks and went back to barking...The other dog just kind of looked at him and looked around the room as if trying to show Chief he himself was not a threat. Very few times did Chief calm down enough he would listen and respond to commands. when we introduced a ball in hope of them playing I left my guy on a leash and whenever he cannot catch another dogs he bites at the hind legsand shoulders. I am worried one of these times he is going to get himself in trouble with the other dogs...I am thinking socialization classes wouldn't be a bad choice....He doesn't introduce himself very well. We went on a walk with my other friends Pitbull and when they met the pit got low and didn't tolerate his barking and kind of went on the defense bared teeth and snapped (This ALWAYS get Chief going and he does not backoff), as we walked they were totally fine...

LinneK9 01-08-2014 12:59 PM

Sorry I was kind of all over board with this topic....Trying to figure a lot out in a little paragraph...

mego 01-08-2014 02:06 PM

it sounds like he has severe dog reactivity. I'd get with a trainer and work on safely and slowly socializing him to get his confidence up. It sounds like he's frightened

LinneK9 01-08-2014 02:50 PM

Thanks Mego! I guess he just doesn't seem afraid as he tries to advance forward rather than cower away...maybe I am reading it wrong.

mego 01-08-2014 03:21 PM

Lara, my now 1 year old gsd, did that a lot as a puppy. She'd bark her face off at dogs until greeting them, but when we encountered a few dogs that wouldn't have that, and they walked towards her very confidently, she'd skitter and run away. With a lot of training her confidence has gone up, she realizes now they aren't scary. He probably wants to play a bit too but is apprehensive, how old?

LinneK9 01-08-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mego (Post 4796650)
Lara, my now 1 year old gsd, did that a lot as a puppy. She'd bark her face off at dogs until greeting them, but when we encountered a few dogs that wouldn't have that, and they walked towards her very confidently, she'd skitter and run away. With a lot of training her confidence has gone up, she realizes now they aren't scary. He probably wants to play a bit too but is apprehensive, how old?

He is just shy of 4 months. Every dog he encounters gets real low not confident but more so "defending" their ground. Not one other dog has approached him proudly. Maybe he is coming on too strong? Idk maybe he is anxious/excited all in one he just doesn't seem "afraid" so to speak. He walks proud EVERYWHERE trotting almost...any chance he is over confident? For example last night he was laying by the front door tired out and the other dog at home was lifting her leg slowly and walking over the top of his head. He just laid there while she barked at him and pawed at him to play and didn't move or anything. She also was licking his ears...Is she trying to challenge him or is she being submissive any thing I read says the walking over is dominate but the licking is submissive? Ah my mind is on overload....I read EVERYTHING I see and every behavior and try to analyze...

mego 01-08-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LinneK9 (Post 4796770)
He is just shy of 4 months. Every dog he encounters gets real low not confident but more so "defending" their ground. Not one other dog has approached him proudly. Maybe he is coming on too strong? Idk maybe he is anxious/excited all in one he just doesn't seem "afraid" so to speak. He walks proud EVERYWHERE trotting almost...any chance he is over confident? For example last night he was laying by the front door tired out and the other dog at home was lifting her leg slowly and walking over the top of his head. He just laid there while she barked at him and pawed at him to play and didn't move or anything. She also was licking his ears...Is she trying to challenge him or is she being submissive any thing I read says the walking over is dominate but the licking is submissive? Ah my mind is on overload....I read EVERYTHING I see and every behavior and try to analyze...

It's possible he's just coming on too strong and just needs to learn greeting manners. My dog might be different than yours, but she acted very confident to scare other dogs away. She would bark and look like she was every bit confident, but when pushed she'd shrink down, and we realized it was all a tough girl act to make up for the fact that she was apprehensive. She had a mixture of nervousness and excitement/wanting to play, and she's grown out of it, but it hit its peak around that age. The only thing that made me think your dog might be a little fearful too is the fact that after a half hour he was still barking and lunging at the other non-threatening dog even after they met. It's definitely something that will likely go away with age if you keep working on it though. If they are play barks though he probably just needs manners, you should be able to tell if he's playing by his body language, stiff/hackles/holding his ground vs bouncing around/butt in the air etc :)

Idk anything about what behaviors are dominant or submissive in that case, but I also dont really buy the whole 'walking over is dominant thing' because my dog climbs on me when I wrestle her but she is completely submissive to me.

LinneK9 01-08-2014 04:42 PM

Right. After some time I was able to get him to calm and he would sit, stay, lay down, leave it for treats and was able to maintain focus then went back to his barking. The one thing he did do that worried me a bit was after about an hour or so as we were leaving he picked up a bone and was content ( I don't allow bones) but for the few minutes as we were saying good bye he was content and the other dog approached him and when the other dog got too close he snapped at him. The other full grown shepherd took off running away. Chief did not make contact but I got him away from the bone immediately it was such a random behavior maybe he was overly stressed and worn out from the previous excitement. I understand the standing over thing but the action I am speaking of was extremely visible (not just walking back and forth over the top of him) slow lift of the back leg, step over and back and forth for a few repetitions.