German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   shutzhund bitting (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/391810-shutzhund-bitting.html)

Jlmaiorana 01-06-2014 05:37 AM

shutzhund bitting

My 13 wk old is bitting like she in shutzhund competition. Nothing works. She just doesnt let go. There is absolutely no redirection what so ever. We are affraid she is going to tear us up if we dont get control of this.

Jlmaiorana 01-06-2014 05:48 AM

I know there is already a bite inhibition thread, but from what I gather, its normal and everyone goes through it, but no one describes it like how I just realised its like in my case. I watched her great, great grandfathers video online winning the world schutzhund competition in 1998 and realised that our puppy is bitting us like that. I can literaly walk a mile with her Attatched to my ankle until I physically pry her jaws off me and immediately after I do, she instantly chomps back down on me. Im wondering if I need to see a doggie behaviourist.

Blitzkrieg1 01-06-2014 08:47 AM

I do ipo, I also dont let my puppy bite me. Use a verbal warning if that doesnt work then scruff the pup off you and place it down. I play plenty of tug with my dog but do not allow her to bite me. Make it black and white here is what you bite here is what you dont bite. If you dont stop I will make you stop.

MrsFergione 01-06-2014 09:42 AM

My female chewed a lot until around 5 months because she was teething but I just gave her bones and it was fine. She likes to try to chew on my wrists not and I stick my fingers down her throat (not to hurt, just to make her uncomfortable and I have my nails clipped short) and she figured out after about two days that she doesn't want to bite me anymore

wolfstraum 01-06-2014 09:56 AM

sometimes puppies who cling do it for reassurance as well....they are not comfortable with their world and the drive to bite gives them a kind of comfort....I have seen several pups that everyone thought were absolutely awesome because of this, but they had environmental weakness.....

If the pup is young...long walks are not so good for it....keep the exercise to a limited area...

Yes, if you can't redirect, scruff the pup....tell her NO firmly and sternly....

It WILL Pass eventually if you are consistant and firm....I assume your plans are for a companion puppy??? If you are planning to train the puppy, get help from whoever you will train the puppy with

Lee

Lilie 01-06-2014 10:41 AM

If your pup is grabbing ahold of you and hanging on for the shear enjoyment of the game, think of the total prey drive and focus your pup has! It has nothing to do with aggression, or the pup attempting to dominate or destroy you. At this point it has everything to do with nothing but fun for the pup.

You have to decide - do you want to teach your pup that you don't want to be the focus of it's world? Do you want to try to teach your pup that drive, confidence and focus aren't something you want from your pup?

I know that you certainly don't want mangled ankles. And putting it's teeth on you is not an wanted behavior. So you have to figure out, how do you encourage one but not the other?

I suggest you ALWAYS have toys on ropes (like a home made flirt pole) with you. Stash several around the house. When you are walking from one room to the other, drag one with you. Even if the pup isn't watching you at that moment. Encourage play with the toy and not you. Have stuffies, squeakers and balls all over your home. Stuff them in your pockets.

I have a high drive pup. I used puppets when he was a puppy. They allowed me to get physcial with him while I detached him from my leg...arm...hair..etc. I got him to focus on the puppet and not my body parts. And I encouraged him to use his drive during play. I dragged toys EVERYWHERE. I still have toys stashed through out my home. He is two now and when he begins to lose control he'll search for the toys himself and bring them to me. He doesn't put his teeth on me.

Jlmaiorana 01-06-2014 10:43 AM

She only does this to us at home.when we are out shes good.

Jlmaiorana 01-06-2014 10:59 AM

We tried the toys over and over. We still do. Once she sees our feet, we can stuff all 60 of her toys in her mouth or dangle it in front of her and she has absolutely no interest in them.

wolfstraum 01-06-2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jlmaiorana (Post 4781258)
She only does this to us at home.when we are out shes good.

OK - good....I was confused by the way I read your description....

redirect, scruff....If the pup is solid tempered and confident, scruffing will NOT hurt it mentally! Teach boundaries....do NOT create a monster by being afraid to set limits for her....if she has drive and you want to train, you will NOT kill that drive by not allowing her to maul you. I have raised plenty of pups that I do not allow to maul me who do quite well in protection work in spite of being corrected as a baby.

Lee