German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   What's going on? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/389698-whats-going.html)

lkcheertex 01-01-2014 09:24 PM

What's going on?
 
A little background. We have Harley who is almost four male. Got him at 18 mo as a rescue. Sweetest dog ever. Never any problems with other dogs. Not dominat at all. Doesn't even lift leg to pee. Never tries to mark on walks.

We have Bella who is a nearly four year old female. Rescued her at 9 mo (she was our first dog). Very submissive. Gets along with all other dogs.

Enter Baron who is our 13 week old puppy. Male.

Last week he playfully tried to take a toy from Harley. Harley told him who was boss. No injured to puppy. If Harley wanted to hurt him he'd be hurt. Harley is huge. Then Harley peed in the spot they tussled on. Harley has NEVER peed in the house since we got him.

Today, I was in bed and all three dogs were on it with me. Puppy was just sniffing Harley and same thing. Growling biting and puppy has just small cut on his ear. Again, I know that if Harley really wanted to hurt him he could have.

I'm thinking Harley is trying to assert his place at the top. I guess my question is if this is normal or a warning sign of bigger problems to come.

Mary Beth 01-01-2014 09:36 PM

Yes, I agree with you that Harley is trying to be the top dog and put the puppy in his place. I would be careful though and consider keep them separate because of today's incident, where the pup was apparently nipped by Harley, and the pup was only sniffing him.

lkcheertex 01-01-2014 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary Beth (Post 4756746)
Yes, I agree with you that Harley is trying to be the top dog and put the puppy in his place. I would be careful though and consider keep them separate because of today's incident, where the pup was apparently nipped by Harley, and the pup was only sniffing him.

They are never together unsupervised. When you say keep them separate, for a certain period? Forever?

middleofnowhere 01-01-2014 10:18 PM

Does Harley know "leave it"? If not, that is a critical thing to teach. 4 yos will correct puppies - sometimes rather strongly. Puppy might have needed to sniff less, sniff with more decorum or simply butt out.

Bed is a privilege - puppy hasn't earned it yet and puppy might never. But way too soon to have three dogs on the bed with you.

Also your dynamic is two males and one female. Older male may be asserting his place as close to the female.

Three dogs are far different from two dogs.

Good luck.

lkcheertex 01-01-2014 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by middleofnowhere (Post 4757050)
Does Harley know "leave it"? If not, that is a critical thing to teach. 4 yos will correct puppies - sometimes rather strongly. Puppy might have needed to sniff less, sniff with more decorum or simply butt out.

Bed is a privilege - puppy hasn't earned it yet and puppy might never. But way too soon to have three dogs on the bed with you.

Also your dynamic is two males and one female. Older male may be asserting his place as close to the female.

Three dogs are far different from two dogs.

Good luck.

Yes, Harley does know leave it. We didn't even have to use it. Harley corrected puppy. Puppy yelped. Harley stopped. He sort of looked at us like what? The puppy was annoying me. And we all know puppies can be annoying. Harley is VERY tolerant. Let's Baron walk all over him, bite etc.

Just looking for opinions on whether this is normal or are we headed in a bad direction.

Mary Beth 01-02-2014 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkcheertex (Post 4756762)
They are never together unsupervised. When you say keep them separate, for a certain period? Forever?

No, just until the pup is older when you can't watch them - a couple of months, until the pup is bigger to avoid the 2 incidents you have already had. Also when they are together be sure to supervise them carefully so the pup doesn't get hurt. Harley needs his special time with you away from the pup, and the pup needs time just with you, also the very patient female dog requires attention. MiddleOfNowhere has some great suggestions. And if I were you, I would follow the advice.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2