German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Walking (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/389626-walking.html)

loulabelle23 01-01-2014 06:52 PM

Walking

Ok sooo maybe this is bit stupid but I have to ask does anyones gsd nod there head while walking I read that if this happen the dog has a problem

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Mary Beth 01-01-2014 09:32 PM

My Sting will nod a bit when I am walking him. I wouldn't worry unless there are other problems, like difficulty in walking.

loulabelle23 01-02-2014 03:51 AM

Theres only that thing I spoke to u sbout mary

MaggieRoseLee 01-02-2014 12:02 PM

My dog's heads movc, here's a bunch of GSD's to watch

Mary Beth 01-02-2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loulabelle23 (Post 4758106)
Theres only that thing I spoke to u sbout mary

No need to worry. I didn't mean limping, but having difficulty walking like being dizzy or off balance. Now for fun - I suggest you watch Maggie's video with Jake - see if he reacts :)

David Taggart 01-02-2014 04:20 PM

Your dog walks head down because it is natural for him. The main tool for your dog to read the world is his nose, so he keeps his head closer to the ground, ready to start tracking some prey any minute (even if he never learned to track). It means he is relaxed. If he walks head up - something excites or worries him and he uses another tool besides that he sniffs the air - his ears. Show dogs go through a specific training to keep their heads up.

Sarah~ 01-02-2014 07:51 PM

Eko keeps his head down when we walk, I read that is how GSDs naturally walk, with the head lowered and a sort of wolf-y stride. When Eko had pano and was limping, he would lift his head up and then down as he walked.

loulabelle23 01-02-2014 08:06 PM

Yeah sarah think jake has pano he doesnt constantly keep head down

SuperG 01-02-2014 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Taggart (Post 4761146)
Your dog walks head down because it is natural for him. The main tool for your dog to read the world is his nose, so he keeps his head closer to the ground, ready to start tracking some prey any minute (even if he never learned to track). It means he is relaxed. If he walks head up - something excites or worries him and he uses another tool besides that he sniffs the air - his ears. Show dogs go through a specific training to keep their heads up.

This is what I have come to learn.....and observe.

SuperG

Sarah~ 01-02-2014 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loulabelle23 (Post 4762498)
Yeah sarah think jake has pano he doesnt constantly keep head down

Is it like he holds it normally then lifts up when he puts weight on a certain leg? If so try to pay attention to which leg he is using when he lifts his head up. If it's like David describes I wouldn't worry, I am talking about a constant up down, up down, sort of walking. If I remember correctly when the head is coming up that is the leg they are lame in.

If you really think he has pano I would take him to the vet to be safe :)