9 month old GSD very scared of new home. help please! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 9 month old GSD very scared of new home. help please!

We just adopted a 9 month old beautiful male. We brought him home and he wouldn't go upstairs. He would only hang out in the den area. I look him outside to potty, and when we came inside he immediately ran and hid under our air hockey table. He seems very scared inside, but somewhat okay outside. What should I do?
Coheed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Give him time. His entire world has been turned upside down.

Set a schedule, make rules, and stick to it. Do not try to bribe him out, but tossing really really yummy treats as you walk around. He will start following you for the yummy ness that falls from your being

Some people may point you to a 2 week shutdown. I have never used that, but a quick google search should find lots of articles.

Take him on walks, tether him to you, teach him what expected.

And be very very patient.

Congrats on adopting.

PS- noticed the name, are you a Coheed and Cambria fan?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

A little bit of TLC he is new and young and his world has just changed! he needs to trust you, you need just give him time and patience. When he does something that would normally be a challenge for him, give him lots of praise and let him know he did great and hes a good boy.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Give him time. His entire world has been turned upside down.

Set a schedule, make rules, and stick to it. Do not try to bribe him out, but tossing really really yummy treats as you walk around. He will start following you for the yummy ness that falls from your being

Some people may point you to a 2 week shutdown. I have never used that, but a quick google search should find lots of articles.

Take him on walks, tether him to you, teach him what expected.

And be very very patient.

Congrats on adopting.

PS- noticed the name, are you a Coheed and Cambria fan?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I think this is great advice!

I have had a couple of foster dogs who behaved in a similar fashion. I just took it easy with them and did almost exactly what gsdsar suggested and they turned out to be great, well-adjusted dogs! (NOTE: I have also never done a two week shut down for a new foster dog).

Thank you for rescuing. And, again, what you are witnessing is really not that uncommon with a new rescue dog. Focus on building trust and confidence with your new dog and you will be rewarded with a great dog/companion!

Wishing you all the best! Keep us updated on how things are going!

Last edited by LifeofRiley; 12-30-2013 at 11:11 PM.
LifeofRiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 02:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Since he does better there... I'd leave him out side as much as possible until he is use to his new home.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

He's doing a little better today. I took him outside and praised him a bunch when he went potty this morning. We have a huge fenced in back yard, so he was checking that out.

He is absolutely terrified of the stairs, so he has confined himself to a very small part of the house. I'm a little concerned about this as that is not the room we want him to stay in ultimately. I tried coaxing him with treats, but he's still nervous of the new surroundings.
Coheed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Time is your friend. Like gsdar stated, just keep it structured. He will come around.

We rescued an alaskan Husky once and I had to carry her through doorways for a LONG time, she would not cross a threshold, no matter what the treats were. Eventually she decided the doorway wasn't going to be so bad but it took quite a while.

Plenty of patience....
Sp00ks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I take it you just have this one dog? One good way to get a dog to try something new is "monkey see, monkey do". Another dog going up and down the stairs would probably encourage him to do the same. He's probably never seen stairs in his life. Go slowly. Treat him for approaching the stairs. Treat him if he goes up one. Sit up a few steps and throw a treat or two to him. Eventually see if you can get him to come up to get them, eventually moving farther and farther up. Let him go slow. He'll get it at some point if you're patient and keep working on it.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've done a shut down on a dog like this, and it worked very, very well. I don't do it with every foster, and I was skeptical about the shut down after reading all the debates here on it --but I decided to try it with a shy, withdrawn foster and just see for myself if there was a benefit. There was, in just a week.

The reason it might help here is by going under the table, the dog is seeking a den, shelter, a safe place to watch where he won't feel vulnerable. A crate would give him that. It would let him observe your routine, get used to the smells and sounds, and decided you aren't threatening and that the whole house is used by his pack, on his own time. It may only take a week (mine did). When he's out, keep him leashed next to you, even in the house so that he learns all good things come from you. Feed in the crate.

Stairs should wait for trust. Many, many dogs find these super-scary at first. Once he trusts more, you can put high-value treats on the stairs and coax him up slowly. It may take a few days -- he may only go up three stairs the first day then freeze (hooray! three stairs), but four the next, etc. Same goes with down the stairs, which is WAY scarier for many dogs. I stay below and next to the dog going down, so they see me ready to catch them, not the long drop down.

We trained a BLIND dog who was afraid of stairs how to do this -- you can do it with a sighted puppy easily. Just be very, very patient and be prepared to go through lots and lots of yummy treats while you build up his courage.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

By the way, there's some reading that you may find helpful, as you are thinking about helping this dog come out of its shell. Thanks for adopting and helping to give hm a home!!!

Recommended Reading from Patricia McConnell (an excellent behaviorist who writes in a clear, engaging style that's accessible for new dog owners):
-Love Has No Age Limit (on Amazon, short book about helping adolescent and adult rescued dogs adjust to new homes)
-The Cautious Canine (on Amazon - short booklet with recommended problems-solving strategies, about 85 p.)
-Same author, free webinar ("Helping Adopted Dogs Adjust to New Homes"): Adopting a dog from the Humane Society | Patricia McConnell | McConnell Publishing Inc.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.