Some of my puppies behaviour - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 35
Default Some of my puppies behaviour

Hello!

So my puppy is 6 months old right now and she has a few behaviour traits that I do not really enjoy.

1. She does not let us know when she has to go outside. We go outside with her often, but if we forget once she just goes on the same spot inside.
She can hold for good while (2-3h or so) so the misstake on us. However, is it normal that she does not even whine or gives us any sign?

This happends maybe once every 3 days. And as I said, its our fault that we didnt go outside with her..


2. She has started to become really "scared" of everything really.
She barks when new people gets close. She barks at other dogs. She barks at cars. Yeah everything pritty much, she didnt do this 1 month ago.

We hosted a christmas party and she was always around me / under our desk. Even tho she has met everyone that was at the party several times before.

3. She cant seem to relax when other dogs gets close. If we are out for a walk and a dog is close, she cant relax if you know what I mean.

4. She wont stop chasing our cats! She has done this since day 1.
We have tried everything. Throw a can on the floor, blow horn.
Corner her and like "claim" the cats as ours.

Everything we have read about. Nothing really works.

----

We can't enroll in a puppy class because all of the puppy classes are booked for a very long time in my town.

We know a few people with dogs that she meets and play with quiet often, tho they are small dogs.
Doggypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator
 
MaggieRoseLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bushkill, PA (The Poconos!)
Posts: 26,003
Default

At 6 months old your pup will be going thru a lot of changes, so hold on.

She's not housebroken at all, so that's part of the problem. By 6 months she should be able to hold it for at least 8 hours. So she's not being 'bad' she just not trained yet. Pretend she's still 8 weeks old, and go back to reading the housebreaking methods. You need to really clean the area she keeps using cause clearly she thinks that IS the place to go.

Keep her in the room you are in using baby gates and closed doors. You can limit her access to the spot she keeps using. Crate her when you are not home.

Most importantly each and every time you take her outside you need to have an appropriate puppy party so it confirms that THIS is what you want, whereas when she squats on her spot in the house (not when you find a pile, that's BAD YOU and only you get punished by cleaning it up) you 'uh uh' and take her outdoors immediately.

Socialization is easier in classes, and at 6 months old you can start looking at regular classes not just puppy ones if that opens up more choices. There are tons of ideas here:

Why bother to 'socialize' and I want photos/videos of puppies/dogs.....

GSD Puppy Primer Tips

Plus there is a lot you can be doing on your own, great hints/tips and ideas to interact with your pup on ---> Top Training Expectations for Puppies

__________________
*****
MACH3 Bretta Lee Wildhaus MXG MJG MXF MFB TQX HIT CGC TC
Glory B Wildhaus AX, AXJ, XF
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
At 6 months old your pup will be going thru a lot of changes, so hold on.

She's not housebroken at all, so that's part of the problem. By 6 months she should be able to hold it for at least 8 hours. So she's not being 'bad' she just not trained yet. Pretend she's still 8 weeks old, and go back to reading the housebreaking methods. You need to really clean the area she keeps using cause clearly she thinks that IS the place to go.

Keep her in the room you are in using baby gates and closed doors. You can limit her access to the spot she keeps using. Crate her when you are not home.

Most importantly each and every time you take her outside you need to have an appropriate puppy party so it confirms that THIS is what you want, whereas when she squats on her spot in the house (not when you find a pile, that's BAD YOU and only you get punished by cleaning it up) you 'uh uh' and take her outdoors immediately.

Socialization is easier in classes, and at 6 months old you can start looking at regular classes not just puppy ones if that opens up more choices. There are tons of ideas here:

Why bother to 'socialize' and I want photos/videos of puppies/dogs.....

GSD Puppy Primer Tips

Plus there is a lot you can be doing on your own, great hints/tips and ideas to interact with your pup on ---> Top Training Expectations for Puppies

There are no classes at all. None. They are all booked. So thats out of the question, last time I checked it was 1 year waiting time.

She is fully crate trained tho and the longest shes been in there without going outside is almost 14 hours (I slept for that long and she didnt wake me up).

But I'll try the gate thing, keep her in the same room at all times so she cant sneak away.
Doggypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator
 
MaggieRoseLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bushkill, PA (The Poconos!)
Posts: 26,003
Default

If you go up to the top of the page and click on the User CP, then put your GENERAL location in, it will show up to the left of each of your posts like my Poconos thing.

With that information people may be able to recommend other dog training places. I know I have to drive an hour to the best place in my area but more than worth it. Some of the best places are mostly passed on by word of mouth too.

I can do a quick search too once I know where you live (just generally, don't need anyone knocking on your door from here )
__________________
*****
MACH3 Bretta Lee Wildhaus MXG MJG MXF MFB TQX HIT CGC TC
Glory B Wildhaus AX, AXJ, XF
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
If you go up to the top of the page and click on the User CP, then put your GENERAL location in, it will show up to the left of each of your posts like my Poconos thing.

With that information people may be able to recommend other dog training places. I know I have to drive an hour to the best place in my area but more than worth it. Some of the best places are mostly passed on by word of mouth too.

I can do a quick search too once I know where you live (just generally, don't need anyone knocking on your door from here )
Thanks for the tip. I live in Sweden and I do not own a car so I cant travel 1h :/ Thats the main problem for me.
Doggypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator
 
MaggieRoseLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bushkill, PA (The Poconos!)
Posts: 26,003
Default

Can you PLEASE add 'Sweden' to your User CP? It's easy and will be a huge help to us so we aren't running you down to Petsmart for Blue Buffalo or some such thing

There are more training classes and DVD's now available online too. So you may want to do an 'online training Sweden' search or something like that.
__________________
*****
MACH3 Bretta Lee Wildhaus MXG MJG MXF MFB TQX HIT CGC TC
Glory B Wildhaus AX, AXJ, XF
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
At 6 months old your pup will be going thru a lot of changes, so hold on.

Thanks for your help so far. However, my other questions has not been answered.

Is the fact that shes suddenly started to be afraid of everything the cause of her puppyhood?

And any idea on how we can improve the relationship between the cats and our puppy?
Doggypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator
 
MaggieRoseLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bushkill, PA (The Poconos!)
Posts: 26,003
Default

Thanks for adding the Sweden to your User CP!

Our pups change and go thru different stages the first year, why we have to be working on the proper socialization steps during this time. Great info on (click the links) ---> Why bother to 'socialize' and I want photos/videos of puppies/dogs.....

Is she cornering and almost hurting the cats? Or just chasing and they run and escape. Cats and dogs can play with each other and if the cats are having fun they will actually START the chase and cause the problem in the first place.

If you really think it's out of hand and your dog wants to kill the cat then you do have to be more proactive. Can you use baby gates in the house that are placed so they are not on the ground but instead with enough space so a cat can run under it but the dog can't follow?

In the meantime you can practice some 'leave it' behaviors with the dog without having to worry about a cat getting injured/killed.

Good info on clicker training and the 'leave it' here --> Intro to Clicker Training (perfect for puppies!)

Meanwhile, our bonding and relationship with our pups is KEY to being the leader and giving our pup confidence in us and the world. That's why this link may seem like it wouldn't help you specifically but generally makes all the difference ---> Top Training Expectations for Puppies

Good luck!
__________________
*****
MACH3 Bretta Lee Wildhaus MXG MJG MXF MFB TQX HIT CGC TC
Glory B Wildhaus AX, AXJ, XF
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
Thanks for adding the Sweden to your User CP!

Our pups change and go thru different stages the first year, why we have to be working on the proper socialization steps during this time. Great info on (click the links) ---> Why bother to 'socialize' and I want photos/videos of puppies/dogs.....

Is she cornering and almost hurting the cats? Or just chasing and they run and escape. Cats and dogs can play with each other and if the cats are having fun they will actually START the chase and cause the problem in the first place.

If you really think it's out of hand and your dog wants to kill the cat then you do have to be more proactive. Can you use baby gates in the house that are placed so they are not on the ground but instead with enough space so a cat can run under it but the dog can't follow?

In the meantime you can practice some 'leave it' behaviors with the dog without having to worry about a cat getting injured/killed.

Good info on clicker training and the 'leave it' here --> Intro to Clicker Training (perfect for puppies!)

Meanwhile, our bonding and relationship with our pups is KEY to being the leader and giving our pup confidence in us and the world. That's why this link may seem like it wouldn't help you specifically but generally makes all the difference ---> Top Training Expectations for Puppies

Good luck!
Thanks, no she does not want to kill the cats but she wants to play with them and they do not want to. Like she goes and poke them until they become mad. If you know what I mean? They do not want anything to do with her.


She listens to me very well. Like if I say "No!" She stops right away. I can teach her tricks fairly quickly, however.. the fact that we are 2 in our house (my GF) is the problem.. when Im not at home, she does not listen as good.
Doggypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator
 
MaggieRoseLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bushkill, PA (The Poconos!)
Posts: 26,003
Default

If that cats CAN leave but choose not too, specially if they have claws, then that's on them actually. If it gets too nuts I'd just go pick up the cat and put it somewhere your pup can't get to it.

Generally all you are describing sounds like a maturing puppy who now has completely different needs than earlier. As well as is going thru different growth stages. PLEASE READ THE LINKS in the post above, there are a ton in the socialization thread that may shine some light on her barking and behavior outside the home. And it's KEY to take our dogs out and teach them appropriate behavior outside the home.

But, if they don't really trust and see us as a 'leader'. Then they may be more fearful, overreact and NOT listen to us (why should we as they have learned we are 'useless' in these situations and the poor puppy has to take charge).

The 'engagement' training is KEY. Cause a pup that is 'engaged' with us isn't going to be worried/barking/fearful of other things around. Instead they will look/listen/learn from us and that's what we want.

This is a LEARNED behavior though. We have to take hours to 'train' our dogs to be engaged enough to block everything else out.

Other thing that may be going on with the cats is your pup is BORED and the best fun in the house is to go pester the cats. When the best fun in the house should generally be YOU ! So there is a breakdown there. Plus just upping the exercise for you pup will be a huge help. The amount of exercise a 6 month old needs is much more than a younger puppy. So just getting the pup out for hours/miles/running a week will probably show some better behavior.
__________________
*****
MACH3 Bretta Lee Wildhaus MXG MJG MXF MFB TQX HIT CGC TC
Glory B Wildhaus AX, AXJ, XF
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:30 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com