Puppy won't go on walks. :( - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Puppy won't go on walks. :(

I own two puppies; both siblings (I wished my parents only bought ONE pup - it is chaos) and almost 6 months old (They are being neutered next week). They are pretty strong and are in the 50 lb range.

One of them is hazel-colored, and his name is Scruffy.

The other is black, and his name is Toffee (my parents bought these puppies for my sisters whom named them and then didn't care about them and left them to me).

My family - parents, and sisters - don't exactly care about the dogs when it comes down to certain things like exercising them. So no help from them!

Scruffy is really good on walks; only problem is that when it's time to go home he runs and drags me. I let it slide because I guess he's excited to play with his brother, Toffee.

Toffee is driving me insane. Every day I always tried to walk him but he wouldn't go past our house. So I put him back in the house (I know, giving up was bad) and didn't walk him for weeks (I felt guilty but then when I keep trying he won't let me).

My mom said the two puppies would exercise each other while I was at school, so walking Toffee wouldn't matter much. I felt so dumb listening to her because right now Toffee is fat.

I could feel Scruffy's ribs perfectly with no effort. They both get fed the same thing, so I'm not starving him. But with Toffee....

I felt an extremely thick layer covering his ribs and can't feel an individual rib bone. I'd have to add pressure to at least feel some bones. His stomach is sagging!!!! When I look at Scruffy then Toffee, it pains me so much!!!! Toffee is smaller than Scruffy and they practically weigh the same; it's like looking at an 80 lb teenager and an 80 lb infant!

I've researched and tried methods but I guess I wasn't trying hard enough.

Today I've tried again.

I put the leash on Toffee, and in my mind, I really believed that I could walk him today. I was hopeful, excited, but I remained calm because I knew I had to be patient.
Once we walked to the end of our house sidewalk, Toffee would pull and jump and whine, try to pry out of my grasp to be back to our property - like every time. This time, I didn't give up! Yet!

I stood still so he couldn't go back. In an excited voice I called to him and said, "Come on! Let's go, boy!"

He plopped his furry butt down in the ground and ordered jesus to keep him on our lawn.

I had treats with me because I know he likes treats! I try to lure him but he catches on and doesn't accept treats anymore - even when it's up in his face.

I tried again: gone back to the house, got him outside, and every time he followed me a bit further out I would treat him. When I thought we were doing great he threw another tantrum and won't come.

I tried the silky leash method - loosen a slightly tight leash and give a reward because the leash is loose. Nope. He won't get it.

By the end of the "Session" I was extremely frustrated and I could just cry. If I can't walk this dog he's going to be super overweight and he won't be happy!!!!!!

Sometimes at night I would bring him outside to run and chase me so he could get some exercise, but I'm not that fit and we never run for too long.

He doesn't retrieve items (even when I tried to teach him), but if he could I would be overly pleased because then I could just throw a ball and he runs while I sit and sip some iced cold water.

I'm sorry if this is really long and boring (and offtopic sometimes) but please, if you could give me advice or help fix this devastating problem of mine it would help so much!!! I would be so happy!!! I tried to walk both the dogs together but there are so many problems - one goes in one direction, one goes the other; twisting and tying me up with leashes, they keep trying to chase each other and play WHILE I'm HOLDING the leash (my arms...ow), and so much more.

Please.... please help me.
lemonbalm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If you can recruit a volunteer to walk one dog and you walk the other - that would give both dogs' exercise. Otherwise - there are leash couplers - that may work for you. As with the coupler they can't go in a different directions and you just have one leash to hold. For working with Toffee alone, if you can manage it, take him in the car and drive to a park. He may do better in a different location. For walking at home, I suggest you don't walk at first, instead run or jog for the first bit until he is past the yard - then walk - that will be more difficult for him to stop. And keep the leash short so he is on heel. Also go in a circle - don't try to go too far - change directions- reward - bit by bit he should get more confidence. I would also practice this when he is hungry - before mealtimes. For the fetch - try using 2 balls - you throw one - he goes after it - then you play with the other - toss it up and down- he wants your ball - comes toward you and drops his - you throw your ball and pick up his - and the game continues.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Maybe Toffee is used to being around Scruffy all the time and does not want to be separated. Maybe try taking both at the same time. I know that might be a lot of work but they can just be short and frequent walks. Try teaching them heel. Teach one to heel on your left side and one on the right so you have a controlled walk.

Post a picture of them so we can the the size difference.
Xena9012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I would change their names to something you like. With Scruffy, I'm thinking west highland terrier and with toffee, I'm thinking Cocker spaniel. Maybe you like them but you should feel free to change them now they are yours.

You can cut down the fat dogs food rations. Just give a bit less each day. Let everybody know, you are in charge of feeding the dogs.

Chech out these videos on how you can use a leash to control a dog.
Tyler Muto - YouTube

You can practice these theory's in the back garden.

Some dogs don't like a collar or the feeling of being attached to a rope. The dog that is shy of walking you can attach a small leash it it in the house so it gets used to carrying it.

One trick i would use is get the 2 dogs and run out the drive and head on down the road. Use short leashes around 2 foot, and have a dog on each side with tight enough collars(I don't do harnesses or loose collars). Have a jog with the dogs flicking them to get them into travel mode. After a while, slow down and go really slowly, like exaggerated slow and then speed up again. I also stamp my feet to startle a dog and change direction, speed to let them know to concentrate on my speed, movements and direction.

When stamping you don't want to trigger fear, you want to get the dogs attention but keep moving. Get the dog used to this and they will not get frightened easily by odd noises on your walks. You desensitize them to sudden noises.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

" For the fetch - try using 2 balls - you throw one - he goes after it - then you play with the other - toss it up and down- he wants your ball - comes toward you and drops his - you throw your ball and pick up his - and the game continues." (Mary Beth)

Thank you I'm going to buy some tennis balls tonight!!

"Otherwise - there are leash couplers - that may work for you. As with the coupler they can't go in a different directions and you just have one leash to hold." (Mary Beth)

Yes!!! I searched it up and it looks promising!!!

"Teach one to heel on your left side and one on the right so you have a controlled walk." (Xena9012)

Okay I'm putting that in my to-do list for tomorrow.

"Post a picture of them so we can the the size difference." (Xena9012)

I'll take one as soon as they stop running, playing, and chasing each other. At least Toffee is getting some exercise right now. When they are resting I will take pics from top, and side angles

"Maybe you like them but you should feel free to change them now they are yours." (MadLab)

I guess so but my sisters still think that the dogs are theirs (even though my older sibling is scared of her own dog! Haha). My siblings are really into naming things and claiming them as theirs which I guess is normal.

"Some dogs don't like a collar or the feeling of being attached to a rope. The dog that is shy of walking you can attach a small leash it it in the house so it gets used to carrying it." (MadLab)

Toffee walks around with the leash dragging fine. Once I pick it up and start to walk him is when he gets into GET-ME-OUT-AAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!! mode. It's good advice otherwise

"When stamping you don't want to trigger fear, you want to get the dogs attention but keep moving. Get the dog used to this and they will not get frightened easily by odd noises on your walks. You desensitize them to sudden noises." (MadLab)

I think my dogs are already desensitized by noises, well, at least my noises. No matter how loud and/or sudden the noises I make to get them to focus, they rather be picking up rocks from the ground (and then I take the rocks from their mouths).
lemonbalm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.