Jealous dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jealous dog?

I have a gsd (3 months) and a mixed beagle (6weeks) and the gsd will take/ try and take everything from the beagle. I stop my gsd most of the time. When I see it. How do I stop this behavior?
Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Jealous dog?-1387415517452.jpg  
danny digital is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

No clue but my god are they both hella cute or what
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

THey are both babies! And their play is how they work out their hierarchy.

I have this situation at home, too. My 10 month GSD, who was a "little puppy" when we got her (8 wks) compared to our 1 year old English Bulldog, has decided early on that she is in charge. She loves Rugby, but she collects/hides/takes away his toys (we give them back), and over the last few months, this behavior has decreased as she has matured. She still is alpha, but no longer feels to need to assert herself, since he recognizes her as such.

And they love each other - very concerned if something is wrong with the other one, they give each other kisses, etc. They can play very sweet and roll around wrestling in slow motion, and they can also really play rough. But they have learned bite inhibition and do fine.

So, what did I do? I alternated treating them as alpha (giving treats first, playing first, feeding first), with treating Rugby first most of the time - just not all the time. I would take away Rugby's toys from Myah, and give her back her own. I felt like this stage would never end. They both got one on one time with me and together time with me. I was very clear with my expectations and Myah tends to be very sweet, so she got the picture.

However, she draws the line in my bedroom. Rugby isn't allowed in (according to her), so we are working on that. I pick him up and bring him in, plop him down at my feet and work on my computer while Myah begrudgingly deals with it. lol.

So, yes, you are picking up on a hierarchy being established. Others will probably have better ideas than me. But this is what's happening in our house with two young dogs. LOL!
Myah's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.