German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   My 1 year old bit my mom (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/383202-my-1-year-old-bit-my-mom.html)

brebrehj 12-17-2013 10:02 PM

My 1 year old bit my mom

There has been a huge change in my boys behavior toward my mom. During the day he's totally fine with her. He listens to her pretty well. During the night he flips out on her. Any time she comes near either of my children he will bark at her and give off warning snaps. When he does this I tell him no and put him in time out.
Tonight she was standing over my son while he was coloring. He jumped next to my son and started barking at her. He continued barking and grumbling at her, she reached her hand out to pet him and he bit her hand. She is older and has very thin skin so I don't know if the blood he drew was to actually harm her or to warn her.
Now she is claiming he attacked her.......I don't know what to do or how to correct this behavior!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

VTGirlT 12-17-2013 10:24 PM

I hope other people reply to this post as I really don't have any good advice to give..
Since we can't see the behavior ourselves.. It's hard to tell why or what is triggering this. Especially if its just at night?
Anyways my best suggestion is you find a private trainer to come to your house, and tell you why he is doing the behavior and make a plan to help you help him stop the unwanted behavior. Counter conditioning is one of the best things you can do for a dog who does unwanted behavior. Look up Sophia Yin she is a great resource, also look up Patricia McConnel, she has also been a really good resource for me and my dog.
Good luck!
Always be on the safe side- you can work through this!

Saphire 12-17-2013 10:32 PM

It sounds like your dog is resource guarding your children. I hope some of the more experienced people will chime in but my personal feeling is you have no choice but to get a professional trainer involved before something much more serious happens.

Xena9012 12-17-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTGirlT (Post 4688914)
I hope other people reply to this post as I really don't have any good advice to give..
"---"
Look up Sophia Yin she is a great resource, also look up Patricia McConnel, she has also been a really good resource for me and my dog.
Good luck!
Always be on the safe side- you can work through this!

I agree. Sophia Yin is really good, otherwise it's hard to tell.

jocoyn 12-17-2013 11:36 PM

It does sound like resource guarding and it does sound like you need some one on one help.

I am not sure what is in Columbus but I am sure there an awful lot of good dog training resources in the Atlanta area. Would you be up for a post looking for help locating a good trainer in Columbus x Macon x Atlanta x Montgomery area? For this you need help.

Sasha86 12-17-2013 11:50 PM

I am no trainer but maybe at night have him on leash with a prong collar
Practice some commands like down stay and correct when he snaps or barks

brebrehj 12-18-2013 12:27 AM

Im actually no longer in the Georgia (haven't updated my info) I now live in west los Angeles area.
My sister has a great trainer who works mainly with GSDs and military working dogs.
When I talked with my sister the only variable we could come up with thats different from day time to night time is that my mom is usually drunk. :-/

erfunhouse 12-18-2013 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brebrehj (Post 4689338)
Im actually no longer in the Georgia (haven't updated my info) I now live in west los Angeles area.
My sister has a great trainer who works mainly with GSDs and military working dogs.
When I talked with my sister the only variable we could come up with thats different from day time to night time is that my mom is usually drunk. :-/

So tell mom to be drunk in her room, not standing over the kids. Problem solved. The dog senses something is different and is watching closer to make sure kids are ok.

PRk9 12-18-2013 07:44 AM

Lol

jocoyn 12-18-2013 08:03 AM

Not exactly a good role model........I would get your kids away from that. The dog is probably picking up on different body language. Talk with the trainer.