How to properly break up and prevent fights? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to properly break up and prevent fights?

I have a 3mo. old male GSD and we have a 10 month old mutt at home (female husky/beagle or so my roommate was told) They can tolerate each other sometimes but for some reason the bottom just falls out and they fight. Teeth showing snapping etc. I understand they are both technically puppies and my guy nips at the other dog and sometimes she just ignores him and other times she gets low teeth out...Saturday was the worst fight they got into where the female got a little more vicious than usual and I almost was on the wrong end of dogs teeth. Every time my puppy comes out of the crate or comes in from being outside he runs toward her with a deep rapid bark standing proud. I am worried I am dealing with a dominant aggressive dog (GSD) and a submissive aggressive dog (Husky/Beagle) Open to any questions or solutions to help fix this.... I have watched and researched a little bit with regard to dog behavior I am just starting to drain out on breaking fights up and not knowing what else to do....I have considered some puppy training classes...
LinneK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I do it the wrong way. I have to smaller dogs. When the get in tiffs with the GSD I get between them pushing the GSD back or grabbing the smaller dog and walking it away. I have not gotten bit yet.

When we had pits I just sprayed them with the hose and they stopped.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Some dogs just don't get along and must be separated.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Break up fights calmly.

If you add excitement and screaming then they can fight more. I usually watch and step in if there is a slight break. Generally dogs aren't biting hard, they are just snarling, and using aggression to win the conflict. So they get excited and you show them you are cool.

Basically to avoid it you need to stop the lead up. Any posturing, growling, baring teeth, barking, getting in each others space should be stopped. In my opinion a dog should be allowed sit in peace with out any other dog picking on it. Sometimes dogs can't defend themselves so you need to do it.

Always consider who is starting the fights. Then stop them and what ever behavior is triggering the fight. The behavior the other dog is doing to protect itself should be allowed to a degree. If it is shown you are in control of the situation it shouldn't need to protect itself.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinneK9 View Post
Every time my puppy comes out of the crate or comes in from being outside he runs toward her with a deep rapid bark standing proud.
You stop the behavior before this ^^^ happens. You don't allow your puppy to bully the other dog. If your puppy isn't exhibiting the above behavior the female won't have to defend herself.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
You stop the behavior before this ^^^ happens. You don't allow your puppy to bully the other dog. If your puppy isn't exhibiting the above behavior the female won't have to defend herself.
He is always on leash coming in and out of the house and out of the crate. He lunges and barks wildly when he sees the other dog. Should I just stand there and wait until he calms himself, reward him then unhook him?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Is them getting "mouthy" with eachother acceptable? Mouths open nipping at each others mouths with the whiny tone?.....< this usually turns into a fight but seems playful at the time?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
He is always on leash coming in and out of the house and out of the crate. He lunges and barks wildly when he sees the other dog. Should I just stand there and wait until he calms himself, reward him then unhook him?
If they can't play nice, then they can't play at all. And you need to be proactive with this. Any lunging and barking means you are LATE with communicating that you won't accept this behavior. Not fair to either pup if this goes to far and one (both?) of them get injured.

It's the humans job to exercise and teach appropriate behavior. And if this means using baby gates and crating while you work it out, then that's what happens. I'd be really exercising and taking tons of dog classes so your dog(s) know to listen and look to you so they don't just escalate to the fighting stage.

So this shouldn't be about how to break up a fight, but how to prevent any fights from ever happening again.

Good luck.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Every time my puppy comes out of the crate or comes in from being outside he runs toward her with a deep rapid bark standing proud.
The puppy coming out of the crate is full of pent up excitement and energy, instead of releasing the pup from the crate straight into the house where the other dog is, why don't you put him on lead then take him for a brisk 15 to 20 minute walk then bring him inside on lead where the other dog is and make him drop and stay until he is calm. Once calm remove the lead and see how things go.

Again with the coming in from outside, do the same thing.

I realise they are both very young, 3 and 10 months, but they both need to learn to respect each others space and proper manners.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry and Lola View Post
The puppy coming out of the crate is full of pent up excitement and energy, instead of releasing the pup from the crate straight into the house where the other dog is, why don't you put him on lead then take him for a brisk 15 to 20 minute walk then bring him inside on lead where the other dog is and make him drop and stay until he is calm. Once calm remove the lead and see how things go.

Again with the coming in from outside, do the same thing.

I realise they are both very young, 3 and 10 months, but they both need to learn to respect each others space and proper manners.
I was told not take him on walks yet as he hasn't had his 3rd set of shots yet (they are tomorrow) Is jogging ok for a young puppy? trying to be easy on his hips while he is still developing....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.