German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Chill out time (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/382370-chill-out-time.html)

loulabelle23 12-16-2013 08:56 AM

Chill out time

Ok so my other problem lol jake jdoesnt settle at all even when its time to chill watch tv he gets on sofa and bounces off the walls like a kid on e numbers so results on him being sent to the kitchen which I then feel bad because he seems lonely any suggestions
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Nigel 12-16-2013 09:09 AM

He may have the zoomies.

loulabelle23 12-16-2013 09:12 AM

Lol whats zoomies ?

Galathiel 12-16-2013 09:14 AM

Has he had enough exercise to be ready to settle? Zoomies is a term coined for the wild tearing around back and forth (and with my pup literally using the wall to bounce off of). My pup wasn't a good settler either so would have to be crated to rest. Sometimes also if a pup is TOO tired it's almost like a small child having a tantrum. Going to bed or to have a nap is a good choice then.

loulabelle23 12-16-2013 09:30 AM

He does indeed I walk him about 9 miles up mountain he runs plays throws ball comes home wants to play lol hes eating flower pots the baby gate tearing the heads off teddies haha what a rebel hes protesting lol but **** sleep in kitchen but once bring him into the living room he goes nuts into everything id love him to just chill out beside me lol but suppose hes 8 months

belladonnalily 12-16-2013 11:37 AM

My guy is 8 mo too and occasionally he will chill when I want him to, but not usually. Put a bed in the living room and teach him to go to it and stay while you are watching tv. You can throw treats from where you're sitting.

When Tucker is overly wound up, any obedience training seems to settle him more. As long as I know he's had enough exercise, I get better results from this than I would if I chained him to a treadmill going full speed!

Sansa's Mom 12-16-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galathiel (Post 4679010)
Has he had enough exercise to be ready to settle? Zoomies is a term coined for the wild tearing around back and forth (and with my pup literally using the wall to bounce off of). My pup wasn't a good settler either so would have to be crated to rest. Sometimes also if a pup is TOO tired it's almost like a small child having a tantrum. Going to bed or to have a nap is a good choice then.

Totally true, they are just like overstimulated toddlers. With my last GSD, I kept exercising her more and more, thinking to tire her out, but it seemed to make her even more worked up. Eventually exercised her less but did more training, it's good to strike a balance between physical and mental exercise to really wear them out.

loulabelle23 12-16-2013 10:00 PM

He just doesnt slow down no matter what lol he has me exhausted and shoe less and plant potless lol he has loads toys he even took up a fight with the vacuum cleaner lol hes such high energy dog lol