Puppy Behavior? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy Behavior?

I posted in the wrong forum, I will post here instead.

Where do you put your puppy during the day? My puppy wants me to hold him all the time and I can't do that and definitely don't want to do that. The puppy cannot stay in a room because it gets into things and really chews on thing, and all that stuff. The puppy cannot stay in an x-pen because he climbs over. The puppy is always with me and if I am playing with the puppy, he wants to play in my lap. The puppy can only eat if I am in the room nearby him, he gets really anxious. If I take the puppy out and then crate the puppy for a few minutes, he will tear up his bedding and potty area and poop and pee everywhere and yap. He will not leave my side and gets so anxious when I leave him alone. I have never had a puppy before that is so "attached" to me before. Another weird behavior the puppy has is that he will not eat around the edges of his food bowl, he will only eat in the middle of his food bowl and wants me to push the food from the edges into the middle of the food bowl. The puppy will also only potty on leaves outside, he won't potty on the grass, and will run over to piles of leaves to potty. The other odd behavior he has is that he will get all of his toys out of his basket and put them in a pile or take them one at a time and put them in a crate. Is this normal puppy behavior?
GermanShepherdDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh - I wish you had posted a series of photos of him taking all his toys out of his basket and putting them in a pile or putting them one by one in his crate. That is great! Seriously, I think you have a fine pup. If you have classes in your area - you may want to sign up - that will help your pup with socialization.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Oh - I wish you had posted a series of photos of him taking all his toys out of his basket and putting them in a pile or putting them one by one in his crate. That is great! Seriously, I think you have a fine pup. If you have classes in your area - you may want to sign up - that will help your pup with socialization.
It is really cute and funny, I have tried to snap more than a few shots, the puppy will just not sit still! I have tried to find a good training class in my are and have been to a few, none are good. There are a few good dog trainers in my area, but not classes that I can go to with my puppy.
GermanShepherdDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

A few things I guess I can chime in a little although I'm not that experienced...

I would start crate training. A short duration at a time. Maybe purchase a crate, leave the door open and lure the pup in with treats. Make it the pup's safe haven.

As for food, don't push the kibble to the center of the bowl. The pup will learn to eat on his own.

Pooping. Try leashing, taking the pup to the grass and using a command like "potty time" or "get busy" (as per the video). Then treat when he goes where you want him to. This video helped me a lot

Good luck! C:
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yes- great advice - I agree! It is cute now but not when your pup gets older. Also it is easier to train your pup now then deal with the big problems of an adult dog. For example with the crate, he has to learn to be alone in the crate . With my Sting to teach him to be alone, after his walk (and I made sure he was tired out), I put him in his crate - with no bed, a chew toy and his bear toy. I shut the door of the room and left the room. Yes - the first time, he cried and whined, but I ignored it and after 20 minutes - all was quiet - he had fallen asleep If I had let him out when he was whining, then he would not have learned. For the lap - your pup is going to a big dog. For my Sting who was a big pup - I did not allow him to climb on my lap. I pushed him away (off command) and redirected with his bear toy and leaned down to pet him. So he learned to lay down by the side of my chair and he would get attention that way.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.