Chewing Toys in Our Lap (Yuk) and won't take "No" for an Answer - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chewing Toys in Our Lap (Yuk) and won't take "No" for an Answer

Our eight and a half month old male GSD constantly brings his toys to us and then insists on chewing them IN OUR LAP. When I say constantly, I mean every waking minute he is not in his kennel. This behavior started at approximately five months old. We used to say "Oh how cute, isn't that sweet!". Now it is absolutely exhausting! Telling him "no" is pointless (I will get to our "no" issues shortly.). It is not just his slobber, about half the time he dunks his toys in his water bowl - then proudly brings them over to chew on us. As I said - exhausting! Big surprise... It is happening as I am writing this.

So, on to our "no" issues..., first let me preface this by saying I have successfully owned and raised dogs (German Shepherds, Border Collies, Yorkies and mixed breeds) for over twenty five years. So, this isn't my first rodeo. But, I have never owned a dog that I have not been able to teach "no". He completely ignores this command!

Any thoughts on why he insists on chewing his toys in our lap and any advise on teaching him the meaning of "no". Obviously, if we could teach him "no", the chewing problem could be solved.

We thank you for any help!
j.a.h. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Do you pay him attention when he is doing this? Say NO then ignore him totally. He should take toy elsewhere then "hopefully". When you do not give them attention with toys they do give up. I am not saying to ignore him all the time. Let him know you are in charge, and will play when you want to play with him. It will take some time for sure. They kind of have them "eyes that go right through you" when they want something LOL

Last edited by Loneforce; 12-09-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 10:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneforce View Post
Do you pay him attention when he is doing this? Say NO then ignore him totally. He should take toy elsewhere then "hopefully". When you do not give them attention with toys they do give up. I am not saying to ignore him all the time. Let him know you are in charge, and will play when you want to play with him. It will take some time for sure. They kind of have them "eyes that go right through you" when they want something LOL
That approach does work sometimes, but he is pretty persistent. We have been using the approach for months - with a success rate of about 25%.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wow he does sound like a tough one. I am going to watch this thread to see what others have done. Maybe put toys away where he can see them, but you have to get it for him when he wants to play. Or maybe he needs another 4 legged buddy to play with to give pet parents a break hehe.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Lisl is doing this as I try and type this, but she mostly just drops a slobbery Kong and backs off because she wants me to play catch with her.

If i don't want to play I let her drop the Kong in my lap and ignore her. She ges tired of waiting and finds something else to do.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

You control the game 100% of the time.

Keep his toys put up. You get the toy, ask him to sit, and then give it to him. As soon as the toy goes into the water bowl, you say nope and take it away. As soon as it touches your lap, the game stops and the toy goes away. If he does the right thing, go play with him and have a big party.

I would have a solid out trained if you don't already, and play plenty games so you reinforce the out to avoid it becoming negative.

David Winners

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes, he is a tough one. When we put the toys away, he goes on a crime spree. Typically he will lay low for a few minutes then slip off into the kitchen and swipe something off of the counter and comeback prancing in front of us. Then the chase is on. (Which is another issue we are working on.) Or there is his blatant approach of snatching something off the coffee table right in front of us. We do our best not to laugh, but he is so proud of his thieving.

As far as additional friends, he has three other dogs and a cat he chews on.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have won a counter surfing battle today. We'll see how long it lasts. When he jumped up on the counter I shook a box of pasta shells. He got down instantly, went out the doggie door then started barking back at the door. He has not gone back to the counter even though I have a piece of bread right on the edge. It's a test......or a battle of wills.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That is actually a great idea Trcy has. Try getting an empty soup can, put some gravel in it and tape the top.when ever he does things you don't want him to do, shake the can and say NO real sternly. When he does the sneaky coffee table thieving, say DROP IT sternly while shaking the can. Sooner or later when he acts up, all you will have to do is say Alright I am getting the can. Make sure he knows what the can is. "or what ever you want to call it" He will grow out of this He is a young know it all fun time pup right now. I can imagine he is a howl to watch. He is being a show off trying to push your buttons LOL. Puppies are fun

Last edited by Loneforce; 12-09-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Be careful with this. You can create fearful associations with things you don't intend. You may end up with a dog that won't go in the kitchen, or afraid of shoes or something.

I would just hate the kitchen off our put a leash on him.

He's not trying to push your buttons as much as trying to find what works. Just show him what you want and I bet he does it. IME, it's easier to teach a behavior than to stop one. Show him how to be successful and that's what he will do.

David Winners

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)

Last edited by David Winners; 12-10-2013 at 12:04 AM.
David Winners is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.