What have I gotten myself into?? LOL - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What have I gotten myself into?? LOL

Oh, boy. Just need to make myself feel better about puppy-hood and talk out loud or vent to you all Day five with the baby Agnes, and while overall, she's s typical puppy and we like her, she is a pill. Have raised a diva of a siberian husky for the past year, I am pretty used to bratty, pointy-eared dog behavior, but this one is a little LAND SHARK. Yikes. Bite, bite, bite. Working on teaching her a soft mouth,...walking away from play (she doesn't seem to mind this at all...still a bit aloof) and using "ouch" and that sort of thing, but the main problem is, the rest of the pack just lets her get away with it, so I wonder if it encourages her more? She and the husky play pretty darn rough, and she gets all worked up and the husky just will take it. ?? Kind of hard to play with her, as it's all biting and attacking us, so hoping for some game suggestions for shepherds ? She seems to have a very strong prey drive (which I expected somewhat) but she is attacking our feet alot. Ouch. How do you re-direct that drive?

Really hates to be picked up and/or held. Will pitch a real fit. Other times, she seems ok with it. Not sure why this is, other than we are new to her. But, she will sleep next to me and snuggle on and off...or will sleep on my feet and wants to be close...just don't hold her and she is fine. ? The first three days, she followed me everywhere around the house, and if I left her to go to another room, she would cry. She must be getting comfortable here, as she is not doing that anymore, but going to her favorite place to play by herself or nap. I know I should start very seriously crate training her, and should have from day one. Not sure why I am reluctant to do it. I have trained our last 4 dogs with a crate....

Definately has a stubborn streak in her. Seems she wants to think about things before she will respond...like, "hmmmm...let's see, do I want to come to you....well, ok, if I must!" Other times, "What's in it for me? Got any of the cheese???" "No cheese? Not coming until I see the cheese!" BRAT.

there has been a major battle over the water bowl with the husky. Both want to control this resource. So, the baby will just pick up the bowl (yes, water and all) and run away with it so the husky cannot have it. It's comical and all, but enough is enough. Cannot leave the bowl down anymore. I spend all day offering water and/or cleaning up water.

I know it's only been 5 days, and all of this is normal new puppy stuff. Just
feeling a little unsure about things and hoping for just a little encouraging words and any words of wisdom!!
Luna'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ha-ha Welcome to the typical gsd puppy hood it gets better with time I promise you, enjoy this stage as you will be in it for awhile.

And good luck ha-ha

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
Cats zorro & Patches
BellaLuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Every time I raise a new pup it is like I forgot how big a pain in the ass the last one could be until the new one reminds me. Funny how human memory can be selective like that. It's kind of like when you break up with a significant other and take some time apart and then maybe run into each other again and try to give it a second shot because you miss them, and then you're reminded of why you broke up in the first place. It's like oh yes now I remember why I hate you so much.

Last edited by Baillif; 12-09-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Lisl didn't like to be held either but she learned to tolerate it because I wanted to hold her. She would eventually sleep in my lap and sits with me on the couch.

She did that water bowl thing for about two weeks on and off but stopped.

Lisl still follows me everywhere in the house. We go everywhere together except work and she is very bonded to me. I like it that way. I bought her as a companion dog and that is exactly what I got.

Females can be more stubborn and pushy than the males, and bitchy too. They can also be a bit more aloof and distant.

Welcome to GSD puppydom. Enjoy it while it lasts because when she's
grown you will remember these times with fondness.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 01:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Any chance a second water bowl in a separate part of the house could help? My boys have two and I think it helped ease the transition with adding Finder that they each had their own bowls. Otherwise I can totally relate. I tell friends that my sibes were all ornery but my GSD was owie! lol
Kahrg4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Puppies are always hard and I've found our smart high energy GSD pups are even harder.

There are tons of hints/tips on --->Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums

But what will help the most is removing your GSD from the other dog and starting up with the one on one 'engagement' training and socialization. She's gonna bond with the other dog and not you because the other dog talks her language and it's easier. Why we need to split them up and teach them 'human'

Top Training Expectations for Puppies

Click that link and let the fun training begin!

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Engagement??? Kind of hard to separate them. Husky lives inside too.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sounds to me like you have a good, drivey little pup! A fair amount of nerve, a sense of humor, brains... rather than inhibit biting, redirect it and start looking for a bity dog activity with which to work this one. A lotta people at a sport dog club would be somewhat jealous of so much drive in a pup.

(So what if you wanted a snuggly little pup - that's not what you got! It's best to work with what you got... )
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna'sMom View Post
Engagement??? Kind of hard to separate them. Husky lives inside too.
I have a GSD and a high drive Lacy. I use the play time between the GSD and Lacy to tire each other out. I take them outside and let them run and play until they are both tired.

Then I'll bring them back into the house and one goes into a crate. The other gets one on one time. We play or work or train, sometimes I just go about doing housework and the dog will just follow me around. But I make sure it stays focused on me.

Then dog A goes into a crate and dog B comes out. We do the same thing as above. As long as it's one on one time. As long as the dog stays focused on me.

You know it's working when both dogs would rather engage with you than eachother.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
Sounds to me like you have a good, drivey little pup! A fair amount of nerve, a sense of humor, brains... rather than inhibit biting, redirect it and start looking for a bity dog activity with which to work this one. A lotta people at a sport dog club would be somewhat jealous of so much drive in a pup.

(So what if you wanted a snuggly little pup - that's not what you got! It's best to work with what you got... )
Ha ha!!! Seriously, I like her personality. I get enough snuggle time with the goldens, so lying at my feet is fine by me! Love the drive in her. Just have to deal with it. I did order her a flirt pole today. She will love it.
Watched the videos from Micheal Ellis. What he calls engagement, we just call attention. She's good at watching me when I ask her to--just not sure yet how to keep that focus. Aftetall, she's just a baby. Span of a gnat. But don't want to start the habit of her getting bored and ignoring me either

One more question--are all GSD this noisey??? Man, she talks, carries on when she wants, hates, or needs something. Definately gets the point across!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.