German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Maxx fights getting brushed!! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/376737-maxx-fights-getting-brushed.html)

loveformygermanshepherd 12-05-2013 03:52 PM

Maxx fights getting brushed!!

Maxx hates being brushed so bad that he fights so bad when I even bring the darn thing out!! I have brushed him his whole life and now all of a sudden he hates it. I have always made it a fun and pleasant experience. What am I doing wrong?? I have to brush him otherwise my house and my family are covered in his hair... Help!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

nikon22shooter 12-05-2013 04:09 PM

Does he have any bumps or cuts that hurts when you brush him? Maybe you are hurting him without noticing.

loveformygermanshepherd 12-05-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon22shooter (Post 4618217)
Does he have any bumps or cuts that hurts when you brush him? Maybe you are hurting him without noticing.

Not that I'm aware of. He's been to the vet and everything in the last month for his checkup and he is in good health

Freestep 12-05-2013 04:21 PM

How old is Maxx?

kiya 12-05-2013 04:42 PM

Sounds like my Apache, he's going to be 11 and has very bad arthritis. He was never a big fan of "the rake" which is the only thing that will get his thick undercoat. I can do his top line, chest and belly but as soon as I go near his hind quarters that's it. At his age I don't push him.

pyratemom 12-05-2013 04:44 PM

How long has it been going on. Can you pinpoint any differences in anything around the time he began reacting to the brush? Also age can be a factor. Sometimes adolescents will suddenly react to things that never bothered them. If he is older, I would look closely at his skin under the fur to see if it is irritated. He may have rolled in something since the vet visit or maybe there was a burr in his fur and you brushed it out and it hurt and he hasn't forgotten. There are a lot of ways to look at it, but without more information I can't be very exact.

Baillif 12-05-2013 05:01 PM

Put a fist full of kibble in one hand. While the dog is trying to pry it outta your fist one piece at a time you brush him with the other.

SageDogs 12-05-2013 05:26 PM

Same thing with mine, trainer told me it may be a "dominance" game of who really is in control. Like a "chase me chase me! But I'm the boss..."

GSD's are highly intelligent, and I just figured out today that my boy has been workin the system lol

loveformygermanshepherd 12-05-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freestep (Post 4618281)
How old is Maxx?

He's 7 months old today

loveformygermanshepherd 12-05-2013 11:18 PM

He has been reacting for a couple of months now really. He always has tried to bite it as whines kinda talks/howls whenever I bring it out... He used to always lay down or sit but to be honest, nothing that i know of would have triggered him. Like I said, he has always tried to bite it, but once redirected he would stop. I have tried the food in a fist in one hand and the brush in the other and when he is getting brushed he gets pieces and once he bites the brush then I stop brushing and feeding, wait a few seconds and then try again. But now with my nerve damage in my left shoulder it makes it even more hard :( he has turned into a bucking bull!!