Barking Issues - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Barking Issues

I don't know what to do. I'm a bit frustrated and overwhelmed at this point. Kratos is 11 months old, and a good smart boy. He learns things amazingly quick and aims to please.

However, and this is a HUGE however. He is a bark-a-cholic. He will bark at my roommates (not just a straight woof, but there are times where he does the protective wooowooowooowooowoo bark). They have never done ANY harm to him or caused him ANY reason for this. They all have pet him, played with him, interacted with him etc.

He barks at the slightest sounds.

He barks at other dogs on walks (sometimes its the woowooo type bark.) He has been socialized since I got him at 11 weeks. Once again nothing terrible has happened to him with other dogs.

He does it to strangers.

We've been to classes, I've tried NILF I've tried ignoring it (just makes it worse because he doesn't stop). I've tried praising for good. Giving him more attention, thinking that perhaps I was ignoring him because of work or personal life.

If this keeps up my landlord has told me he will have to go because he's simply too loud. He is going to get neutered in the new year, but I worry that this is so ingrained as habit now that its not going to affect anything.

What worries me is he's starting to raise his heckles and growl at people and I worry that he'll do worse. The dog has had a wonderful life. Full of love, toys, walks, affection, training classes, competition for fun. Never been beaten or abused was from a breeder.

I'm litterally bashing my head against the wall, and dread taking him for walks which I used to enjoy with him.

Thanks.
kayliyth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sounds like he's a little nervy. Have you tried bark collars? Teaching him to bark on command and then teaching him the quiet command? There are lots of angles to hit this from. Ignoring it is unfortunately not one of them as lots of dogs see barking as a self reinforcing behavior.
Baillif is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh my, Kratos is really acting up And here I thought my Sting was a terror at that age. You do have my sympathy. It seems to me that it is all excitement - especially that woing part and since quite understandably you find it difficult to cope with, he then gets carried away and works up the vocal scale to the growling. There are ways to cope with this. To understand his barking and to find ways to have him learn to be quiet, I suggest you may want to read (it is a short book) "Barking: the Sound of a language" by Turid Rugaas.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey, so my Anna is EXACTLY the same, very very Barky, and when I first got her at 9 weeks she whined constantly for I'd say 2 weeks straight, that bark is not aggressive it actually rarely is, that bark is a shepherd telling people he is there and he knows they are there I've been to about 4 different trainers, actually most of my friends are trainers and allot of them have German shepherds, for the first few weeks I was so scared that Anna was aggressive and that there must be something wrong or that she was fearful, or nerves like the other person suggested BUT the trainers I met with are schutzhund trainers and the one I actually chose to work with is a k9 police trainer, they all said the same thing, she was confident and just communicating. So I'm not longer scared she's still young for what I'm going to do but- you need a good trainer and a remote collar (I like the vibrating ones, either way I can promise they aren't mean) teach your pup he is allowed to bark unless you ask him to stop, you don't want a bark collar, that will stop ALL BARKING, someone breaks in- guess who isn't barking?? Because you trained him not to! He just needs to learn when you ask him to stop, that it means to stop.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.