Puppy gets bored FAST - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy gets bored FAST

I just got a 9 week old GSD puppy and he gets bored VERY quickly with toys. Peanut butter in a Kong I thought would be a sure thing to keep him busy! Nope, MIGHT lick it but not for very long. I just don't know how to keep him entertained. We have been working on potty training and at first he took treats now he will occasionally take treats. (Still having occasional accidents)He follows me like a shadow 90% of the time and is kind of grasping his name... Also, my roommate has a 10 monthish old mutt and Chief goes nuts barking at her when he comes through the front door and bites at her face and back legs which leads to a fight where she shows her teeth and gets real low...They have been in a room and played and just ignored each other but he randomly snaps and just has a fit....I know he is a puppy...Just concerned....Sorry...bounced around on topics...

Last edited by LinneK9; 12-03-2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Title change
LinneK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

9 week old puppies have the attention spans of a drunk gnat, which is to say very very short. The toy drive will probably come with a little more age.

Keep those dogs separated. Allowing them to fight or for the older one to harass him is a huge no no.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I wouldn't rely on toys to entertain her much, better if you engage her in play. Teach her some games, fetch, flirt pole, tug, etc... Incorporate training to go along with it. Once shes burned off some of her energy she may be more willing to relax with a toy to chew.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to jessjeric

My 9wk old is the same way but after an hour or two of high energy play time she'll calm herself & lay down with a nylabone or her stuffed kong or she'll go from a million miles an hour to nap time in a matter of 2 seconds. I keep her busy with short walks, new smells/"safe" places/people/dogs. She ADORES running around outside with a tennis ball. Loves her flirt pole. It is tiring for me but pays off when she's not trying to eat me alive and will just lay with me & sleep through the night (11pm-6:15am)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
jessjeric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjeric View Post
My 9wk old is the same way but after an hour or two of high energy play time she'll calm herself & lay down with a nylabone or her stuffed kong or she'll go from a million miles an hour to nap time in a matter of 2 seconds. I keep her busy with short walks, new smells/"safe" places/people/dogs. She ADORES running around outside with a tennis ball. Loves her flirt pole. It is tiring for me but pays off when she's not trying to eat me alive and will just lay with me & sleep through the night (11pm-6:15am)

Wow wish my guy would sleep those hours! He is the energizer bunny...haaaaates his crate for some reason...never punished him with it...I could stack 100 things other dogs would like in there and he refuses to go all the way in on his own...I have to gently push his behind in almost all the time...then he whines for about 5 minutes then goes to sleep
Old 12-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
9 week old puppies have the attention spans of a drunk gnat, which is to say very very short. The toy drive will probably come with a little more age.

Keep those dogs separated. Allowing them to fight or for the older one to harass him is a huge no no.
Makes me feel a little better :-) he listens pretty well I can get him to calm down from just about anything except other dogs. ...he gets a pretty deep bark going...I just dont want him to grow up being dog aggressive as all my friends have dogs and want them to be friends
Old 12-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to jessjeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinneK9 View Post
Wow wish my guy would sleep those hours! He is the energizer bunny...haaaaates his crate for some reason...never punished him with it...I could stack 100 things other dogs would like in there and he refuses to go all the way in on his own...I have to gently push his behind in almost all the time...then he whines for about 5 minutes then goes to sleep
The first couple nights I had Veda I let her sleep in bed with me. After that she just started to head to the crate on her own when it was officially bed time. She's only in her crate when I'm out for 1-3hrs doing things and during the night. She likes to nap by the front door Since she does sleep that long at night (which I am thankful for) her naps usually only last 45-60min and she's only having maybe 2-3 a day... which means she's up & going the rest of the day. Like I said, exhausting but worth it for a decent nights sleep
Short training sessions also tire her out! That'll help with his focus too.
Good luck!

jessjeric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

My pup was exactly like that t 9 weeks (she Is now 14 weeks and probably the smartest puppy I have ever trained with) se had really no food drive no prey drive with toys just sorta wondered around any second she got, I promise you your dog will come around just be patient and yes- interactive play is the best, shepherds don't really like to play alone

Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses! He's getting better....like to play tug-o-war most thus far....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.